Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Are there any whitetails in Colorado? >

Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Old 01-31-2002, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

All deer tags in Colorado are on a draw, nonresident and resident. The only exception is if you book with an outfitter that is part of the Ranching for Wildlife program. They are awarded a quota of tags that they sell to those that book hunts with them. Elk is over the counter in many areas for residents and nonresidents.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:31 AM

WV Hunter
Yep its true, unless you have a few preference points you won't hunt the eastern plains in Colorado with a rifle, resident or nonresident. All deer licenses in Colorado are now on the draw system. Can't go to the local Walmart and buy one. Now it your a landowner you have a lot better chance of drawing a tag, but this also is not a guarantee. They've got a system here called the Landowner Preference System where basically the landowner can sign over a tag to anyone if his land meets certain qualifications. I use this system every year to draw an antelope tag and sometimes a deer tag. Deer tags are a little tougher to come by but its still your best odds of getting a tag.

In most units of Colorado you can buy an over the counter bull elk tag but there are a lot of areas that also require preference points, some require up to 15 points to draw....which means you've been putting in for a license for 15 years and not drawn. If you are unsuccessful you can still buy an over the counter tag in an open unit.

A lot of the northeast units of Colorado are getting hit hard by Chronic Wasting Disease, so if you come out stay away from the NE area and focus on the east or southeast. The area I hunt in the northeast has seen the deer population plummet. Also its a known fact the DOW has shot dozens of animals out here to try to curtail the spreading disease. This past year 2 out of 3 deer my friends shot deer that tested postive for CWD.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, it's making a little more sense now.
Is archery hunting the same? Do you have to get a separate license, or is it all on the same one? (per animal type) Guess I've got alot of research to do, assuming I do end up going out there. Sounds like it will be lot different than it is here in the east.
It's great all the info that can come from the folks on this board. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:33 AM

WV
All deer licenses are on a draw system, even archery. For elk archery, in most units you can by an over the counter license. But again, certain units you have to apply for and will need preference points.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:00 AM
Spike

WV, try going to the DOW website.http://www.dnr.state.co.us/
Lots of good information
Old 02-02-2002, 01:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2002, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one SuperSlugger, but, I just want to know one thing, did he have his X-mas lights on when ya got him?
Old 02-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Spike

Default new Whitetail late seaon

Hello, there is a new whitetail season this year for over the counter either sex licenses. You can purchase up to two. Today is the first day and it runs until December 31st. Happy hunting!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

12 year old thread. Cut the crap! We know about the whitetail hunt.

Quick Reply: Are there any whitetails in Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.