Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Is hunting affordable in Africa? >

Is hunting affordable in Africa?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is hunting affordable in Africa?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Spike

Default Is hunting affordable in Africa?

How affordable is hunting in Africa?
Have you been there?
Where?
What was your total of expenses?
Where you satisfied?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have left boot tracks in Namibia, Botswana & Zim. Everyone can find the prices - so what if affordable is a personal matter. Travel is getting costly.

Are you writing a book?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The catch-phrase is "African hunts can be cheaper than many western elk hunts".

This is true of the hunt itelf. The problem is the rest of the costs to get there.

Airfair. That's going to cost quite a bit. And, you're going to want to bring stuff with you. The airline will nail you on overages.

The other big expense is getting your trophies home.

I'll bet you the total cost is double what the hunt cost is.

Also, a lot of time invested. This won't be a Sat-Sat trip and only 5 vacation days taken.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default price for african hunt

I just did a price check at: http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/pricelist.html

They charge $495 per night not day $180 pick up and drop off and depending of the game there is a trophy fee for lions of $24000.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dangerous game is a completely different ball game. Especially lion and elephant. Cape buffalo is cheaper but still very pricey.

The reasonable hunts are for plains game. The antelopes.

Think of it this way: You go to Wyoming and hunt pronghorn, deer and coyotes......one price.

You go to Wyoming and hunt elk, mountain lion and grizzly......a lot different.

No, I didn't check to see if you could hunt grizzlies in Wyoming, but you get the idea.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Spike

It's should be obviously cheaper in africa in comparison to other countries, and rather the wildlife there is more varied than anywhere... one could have the true hunting pleasure over there.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

I don't know what the current prices are, but I bowhunted in South Africa in 2000 for plains game (way up north along the Limpopo river and the Zimbabwe border). Back then we did a 5 day hunt which was $200/day for food, lodging, and guide, and each animal had a price tag. Impala and warthog were $150 each, zebra, gemsbok, and kudu were around $600 each, and eland were about $1000. Baboons and guinea fowl were free to shoot. I shot a baboon, warthog, and paid for 2 impala (I wounded one and lost it, but I still had to pay for it). My dad got an impala and kudu. Round trip plane fare was about $1500 and it cost another $1500 to get everything shipped back plus all the extra fees. So in all it cost about $5000 per person (which included a few extra days of sight seeing), but again, that was over 10 years ago so I don't know how much it's gone up since then.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last trip (2012) cost about $3,000 each for round-trip airfare, no charters involved.