Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting

Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Spike

Default Elk Hunting

Hi all, I am planning to hunt elk this fall, probably Colorado, thinking about unit78. Plan to do the 2nd rifle season Oct 20-28. I will be on foot. I am completely new to the elk hunting and know nothing about the area except what information I am getting from maps. If anyone has any experience or advice I would appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the other thread in this Big Game Hunting forum on "First Elk Hunt." There is a lot of good information there. It can snow in second season. In fact, it probably will snow or will have snowed during second season up around the 10500 to 12000 foot level. Maybe not enough to drive the elk to lower elevation but maybe enough to make hunting complicated. It is hard to walk through 18" of snow. It is hard to pack out an elk in 18" of snow. This is kind of an altitude sensitive consideration -- higher up, more snow; lower down, less snow. I'm not sure, but I sort of think the elk will still be up above 10,000' elevation during second season. Look for public land that is above this elevation.

Elk are big animals. Have a plan for getting the elk out if you get one. Only 20% of Colorado elk hunters are successful. Given that consideration, you might not want to hold out for a 7x7 if you see a cow standing in front of you on opening morning. It can be a lot of fun, even if you don't score an elk. This is your first elk hunt, so expect to learn a lot. Talk to people. Be friendly. Ask for tips. Don't expect to be told a good place to find elk. Expect to hear general hunting principles.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Get into shape. Between the elevation the rough terrain and gear, it will wear you down. If you plan on wearing a 20lb pack all day I would wear atleast that much if not double that to prepare. Be ready to walk a lot of miles each day.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Spike

Thanks Alsatian, This will be quite a experience. Possibly doing this solo and setting up a base camp alone in such secluded areas will be a challenge. Elk hunting has always been on my bucket list. There just comes a time in life when you have to stop waiting for the right time to do things and just make it the right time. At least now I know to expect snow and what altitudes to concentrate on. I selected unit 78 because OTC tags were useable and it looked like there was some good migratory routes and winter ranges on the Colorado DNR website. I have been looking back over the old posts on the forums and reading everything I can.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Spike

Thanks C-rad. I hang drywall for a living which should help me with the weight carrying. I definately have got to do some work on my wind though. Havent ran since retiring from the military and that was 8 years ago. Shaving a couple pounds off would be good to. Frankly, I am sure that the distances and vastness will be a little overwhelming at first. Its going to completely redefine my interpretation of "within hunting range".
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will help if you can come out a few days early to get accustomed to the altitude. It will drain your energy more than being out of shape.

What altitude are you at now?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Spike

Thats a great idea Muley Hunter. If I end up soloing this hunt I should be able to come out a few days early. I live in Ohio and aint much above sea level here. I am from the mountains of Virginia but havent been back in a couple years. Yeah. A few days there early, a chance to see the country, talk to people, pick up hints and scout would probably do more to help my chances for success than about anything.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Spike

I would love to find a rancher I could give a couple hundred to for the opportunity to camp and hunt on some private land but I am sure the hunting rights on most anything like that have done been bought up.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another tip I give to those hunting a new unit. Call up the DOW, and ask for the phone # of the warden for the unit you want to hunt.

Give him a call. They love to help you out, and nobody knows the unit any better.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Spike

Another great idea. I am getting pumped. OTC licences go on sale tomorow so I will probable pick one up then so I will not back out because of work etc later this fall. LOL I am still trying to make heads or tails out of the hunting regs. Do you recommend picking up any other licence in conjuction with a elk licence just to have along for a target of opportunity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.