Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My Ontario Bear Hunt

Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Spike

Default My Ontario Bear Hunt

I spent the last week in Northern Ontario bear hunting with Mike McNay from Cantraps Northern Adventures. My wife, daughter and myself had a blast hunting with Mike and his wife Kelly. We rolled into town on Saturday morning and by 2pm my daughter and I were in our stand. Mike had told us that a few big bears were around the area so I told him we would hold out for a good one. Well at 3 PM I see my eight year olds eyes pop out and look over my shoulder at a nice bear over 200lbs about 5 yards from the stand. We spent a good half hour taking pics of that bear. She loved it and from that moment on she was on watch, we passed on two more bears that afternoon. At around 730 pm the big guys stepped out of the woods, after a long wait by both of us for the right angle we got a nice quartering away shot at 60 yards and put down a great 400lb boar. It was a great hunt and to share it with my daughter made it a day I will never forget.

So now I am in camp all of 8 hours and I am done with my hunt. My wife Tina also was hunting it was her first time big game hunting and was a trip she will also never forget. A morning later I sat in the stand with her in a Hang on I had hung about six foot above her stand. First thing in the morning a big bear steps out and checks the wind and drifts off into the brush too quick for a good shot from a new hunter. About a half an hour goes by I’m half asleep when I hear her pulling the hammer back on the Thompson 270. I look over my shoulder to see a big bear in the clearing. This bear slipped around in the brush like a fox for over 20 minutes before it finally gave her a broadside shot. One shot through the heart at 50 yards and her bear was in a pile not twenty yards from where he was hit. I was so excited for her I almost stepped off my stand. Her bear was another boar he went 250 and had a great head and coat. I have hunted and fished all over and this hunt with my wife and daughter was one of the best I have been on, and I will be going back next year with the family. My father inlaw, and brother inlaw were alsoon the hunt. My father inlaw killed a good bear and my brother inlaw passed on three up to 250lbs. He was waiting for one around 500 that he had game cam pics of. Mike ( cantrap ) is on this Forum he runs one heck of an outfitt and is into his hunting. Being a fishing guide myself I know what it takes to keep clients happy. Mike did a great job with my wife and father inlaw who were both first time hunters. Sean

Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 AM
car
Typical Buck

Congrats to you and all of your family. It's great to have your children involved with hunting. Sounds like you really had a good time. Do you want to post the outfitters link for others to check out?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Spike

Awesome job! Nice pics. It's always good when you can take the family with you and you're successful. I can't wait to take my daughter hunting.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

sounds like a great hunt.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the write up Sean!! If anyone is looking for a great bear hunt feel free to drop me a line, I have a few openings left for next season.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Great pics with your daughter. Thanks for sharing and congrats to the whole family. Keep coming up to Ontario and get rid of some more bears. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

see you this fall sean!!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Probably not this fall but how about a few years from now?? My daughter is only four months, but time goes quickly and she'll be ready before long!
-Jake