Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Arizona unit 6A

Old 07-18-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Arizona unit 6A

Well folks, One of my dreams has come true with a successful draw for an elk tag for the November 14th through 20th Rifle Season. I am beside myself with excitement. If anyone can give me info on this area I would be forever grateful. I am a do it your selfer and will most likely travel over the web in search of maps and any one at all who can provide info. I am told that over Half the battle is getting the tag. I hope I have chosen a good area. Thanks in advance, Tom
Old 07-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Default RE: Arizona unit 6A

There are a couple of Az folks that post here that can probably help you out with some hunting areas. I' d get topos of the whole zone and start studying them for potential good elk habitat. Identify a couple of drainages or mountians and make some calls to the local game biologists or ranger and ask them specific questions about particular areas. If you ask generic questions about the areas you' ll get generic answers. When you get a biologist or ranger on the phone have your maps handy. He may mention a moutain range or drainage and you can look it up right there and maybe come up with some detailed questions. Those guys will help a bunch if you' re prepared when you talk to them.
I would not agree that drawing a tag is half the battle. As a matter of fact, the battle ain' t even started yet. From the tone of your post I assume (maybe I shouldn' t) that you' re a first time elk hunter. Elk live in some extremely tough country and if you want to see big elk you have to get off the roads a few miles. That means a lot of hiking at altitude. Your best bet is to start now conditioning your body for the abuse you' ll have to put it through in Nov. Hiking, running whatever you can do will help.

I' m curious about how many points you had in this draw? I' ve been collecting points for two years and want to hunt that same area
Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 PM

hey tomjycaller i got drawn for acrhery cow in the same unit. i' ve been hunting 6a for almost 16 years now and know alot of good spots. email me [email protected]

you picked a good area to hunt in there are mountains but where i hunt there are mainly rolling hills, i would still suggest that you get into shape and practice shooting as much as you can

also you DO NOT HAVE TO WEAR BLAZE ORANGE, most of the time we just wear camoflauge. if you archery deer hunt also then email me and you can check out the area in august too.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:20 PM

Tommy:

I have an archery bull tag in that unit in September. The best advice I can give you is to get in shape. 6A holds plenty of elk, but most of them will be away from the roads by rifle season. Elk can be found in most of the unit throughout the year. Look for the herds to be further south if snow moves in by your hunt. The AZ Game & Fish usually sets up a base camp on the Stoneman Lake Road during your hunt. The folks working the camp will be very helpful to you. Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:44 PM

Tom-It is a good unit with lots of elk. It has quite a few tags and the animals will get pushed hard. Look for water as far away from easy roads as you can and also keep in mind that a bunch of elk get pushed out of the forest and into the juniper scrub. I would go in south of Clints Wells west of the highway and as far in as you can get then work west and south into the juniper areas. Good luck and hope you score. Be prepared to hoof it and I am real jealous that you got that tag cause I didn' t draw squat.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:12 AM

Congrats, I got drawn for 6B in Arizona for archery bull elk. Im so excited that I cant wait. Im going up scouting for 2 days later this week. It will be my third trip up there in the last week and a half. I want to make sure that I know as much as I can before the hunt. If there is anyone that has hunted that area also I would appreciate any insight that you may have. Once again gook luck on your late hunt...