Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Traveling with guns across state lines >

Traveling with guns across state lines

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Traveling with guns across state lines

Old 07-24-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Traveling with guns across state lines

Guys,

In preparation for my hunt in Maine this fall, I' ve heard rumors about some strict rules/regs on transporting firearms across state lines. I suppose I will contact the outfitter and states that I will have to travel through (PA, NY, MA, NH, and ME), but I wondered if anyone had any words of advice. This is all domestic US travel, but does it save any hassles to ship guns to the destination? Or, am I okay as I usually transport them (unloaded, locked, and separate from ammunition)?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2003, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Traveling with guns across state lines

I don' t think there is any problem with hunting weapons.I was wondering the same thing about a hand gun.I have a concealed weapons permit for PA but that doesn' t do me any good in other states.I' m going to Colorado this fall and I' m taking my 9mm with me.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

i can tell you this first hand i have taken my rifles with me to va and to canada there is no problem with them.... now as for the handguns i can not answer that i am sure your local precent can answer that.... just like buying a gun.. you can by rifles or shotguns anywhere but handguns have to be shipped from dealer to dealer unless you got an ffl
Old 07-24-2003, 06:28 PM

Long guns are legal to transport across state lines provided you comply with that states particular suite of regulations regarding transportation. In most cases if the gun is unloaded and in a case where you can' t get to the ammunition you' re cool. As far as hand guns, that' s a different matter. NY has one of the most stringent hand guns laws I know of. Can' t buy, posess, carry, transport, Etc Etc without a pistol permit. I' m not sure if out of state permits are valid or not. Colorado allows pistols to be carried when hunting as does CA, NM and AZ. Not about WY or MT

For the most part, I' d think if it' s legal to carry in the state that you' re hunting in, pack it in locked case in your trunk and don' t take it out till you get there. You shouldn' t get hassled if you' re not causing trouble.

If you' re going to ship it I' d do some checking, I think you' re supposed to have an FFL to ship a hand gun. Anybody here have an FFL and know the rules on that??
Old 07-24-2003, 10:16 PM

call the state police in each state and ask them. be sure and get their name afterwards.also there are some answers on web sites.police officers are not allowed to carryt into every state. we used to have that list. i will call work and try to get the list.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ask the NRA. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:13 AM

Thanks guys. I will only be taking my rifle and shotgun along with me. I will call the NRA and the state police.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know anything about the states you mentioned, but I do konw that it also won' t hurt anything to at least partially disassemble your rifle, then lock your gun lock through the action as usual if possible. I know here in KS, which is incredibly leniant (carriage is open and left to the municipalities to decide typical transport laws, rarely enforced), there are some cities that went off the deep end, it must be locked three times, in the action in the case in the trunk, and disassembled to the point of no-function if the lock would fail, basically if you lock the gun in the action with the bolt out, then lock the bolt in another box all locked in your trunk with the ammo locked in another box--maybe with the bolt would save on the # of boxes, you' d be fine. It' s a lot, but I figure bending to the law is better than having them find out I was breaking it! I got cited once driving through one of these towns for having a bb-gun in a locked case in the bed of my truck, the bed was ok, as it' s inaccessible while driving, and there' s really no other option, but not having the gun disassembled was the kicker. I raved and hollered about it, and sent a lot of letters and petitions through the town,before some local picked it up, I don' t know how it turned out yet, I just don' t go that way anymore.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You got in trouble for not having a bb gun , non fuctional, disasembled? But it was locked& not even in the truck cab?
That sounds crazy!
Thought a bb gun wasnt even a firearm?
Whats the world comming too.
...treating bb guns like there some submichinegun.
But i read somewhere a flame thower was classified in the same class as a bb gun by the Atf.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:04 PM

texas is pretty easy going.the only firarm that will cause you problems here is a handgun.just have it unloaded and in the trunk. if a officer stops you you are not required to tell him you have the gun. if the officer wants to search the trunk tell him of the handgun.as long as it is just being transported you should have no problem. if you have a rifle it better not be a fully auto or any other fully auto. even with a license they can confiscate until they can verify ownership and legality to own