Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New "Non lead" bullets?

Old 12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The XP3 is basically a slightly redesigned Winchester Failsafe. They have been performing well for a very long time.....and just like the Barnes they are expensive.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

What are they made of? Copper?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nalgi
Barnes are not new out west, they are just expensive. Since CA went nonlead, 4 years ago Barnes had all the market for a couple of years. We have had EXCELLENT success with converting to Barnes. Sub 1" groups in all calibers is the norm. However, the Varmint Grenade is a bust. the Nosler BT non lead is the best bullet we have found in the under 60 grain bullets (40 gr. .223 and the 55 gr. .243 are sub 1/2" shooters). One other thing. You have to use the Barnes reloading data or you will not get good results.
Not all of Cali, only the "condor range"...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
usa
Fork Horn

We killed 2 bulls /2cows and a buck in Colorado this season all with tsx 225gr .338 's, all died within 20 yds , my bull I shot in the chest at 224yds and the bullet travelled thru and shattered his hip, useing reloads we are shooting sub MOA at 100 yds
Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I always used factory loads with Nosler Partitian and switched to Barnes TSX. I found the accuracy in my guns to be better with the TSX and the impact on an animal is incredible. I have been using them for the past 6 years.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

I got a chuckle out of this one ....I've got some barnes bullets that I bought back in 1995 or 96 if not before, the 150's I bought work great on mulies out of my .300 H&H
I really don't like the way they group out of my .338 though, but I'm still playin with the loads a bit also
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Funny how different guns react to bullets. I always liked the kill performance of nosler partitians but didn't get the accuracy I always wanted from them. I tried the TSX and they were better on the range. The kill performance was something I picked up on after quite a few animals from yotes to deer, caribou and elk. My next gun will be a .338 win mag and I'll try TSX out on that but if I have the same experience as you I'll try something else.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Funny how different guns react to bullets. I always liked the kill performance of nosler partitians but didn't get the accuracy I always wanted from them. I tried the TSX and they were better on the range. The kill performance was something I picked up on after quite a few animals from yotes to deer, caribou and elk. My next gun will be a .338 win mag and I'll try TSX out on that but if I have the same experience as you I'll try something else.

I havn't given up yet!!!! LOL!!!!!! I will get it dialed in just seems to be taking longer.... or my memories shot .......LOL!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sounds like they'll convince

those newbies that paper bullets are the best.