Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT deer rut, when?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default MT deer rut, when?

when will mule deer rut in MT? I kinda am looking at 2 regions, region 3, and region 7, so SW MT, and SE MT.

The season opens Oct.23,

so when do they rut usually? would you hunt opener of rifle? or the rut?

thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Why hunt the rut??? the meat tastes like crap!!!! I don't know about MT. but in washington the mulies start the rut around the middle of Nov........I would Assume they would do the same in MT. but then again that is an assumption LOL!!!!!!

Last edited by finnbear; 08-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting Montana Mulies during the rut is my preferred method. From what I have seen the rut starts about the 10-15th of November and goes thru the end of the month. Find the does and you will find the bucks. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default What

Originally Posted by mi_fiveo
Hunting Montana Mulies during the rut is my preferred method. From what I have seen the rut starts about the 10-15th of November and goes thru the end of the month. Find the does and you will find the bucks. Good luck!

What do U do with the meat????
Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mi_fiveo
This is right on. Rutty bucks do taste worse. They don't eat well during the rut and they are muskier.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, the meat is musky and not very good. I usually make burger and sausage out of most of it. I shoot Whitetails here in Michigan and eat them. They are hands down better than a stinky rutted up mule deer buck. However, when I head out west I'm looking to bring back a 5x5 Mulie rack or better. The nasty meat is just part of the package.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Spike

For some reason I always seem to see the action for MT muleys start the 6th of Nov. and last for around two weeks hot. If ya find some does, but don't see a buck with them, stop and look harder. Very often if they are in rut, there will be a buck around. He may just be laying close by and not standing or tending a doe. Good Luck

HuntinGuy