Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
MT general elk tag recommendations? >

MT general elk tag recommendations?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

MT general elk tag recommendations?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default MT general elk tag recommendations?

drew a big game combo, missed on the limited entry...

trying to decide to return the tag for a 80% refund or go on a general tag/unit hunt.

Main goal is a bull elk 6x6 300"+, mule deer would be secondary. This would be a DIY.

After some quick research...I'm looking at some of the 300's units. Anyone have experience near Dillon? Helena? Ennis? how worrysome about the grizzlies should I be? just protected....spray/sidearm?

Thanks!

PS- anyone have any experience hunting mule deer with a bow during elk season? It's kinda hard for me to wrap my mind around being successful hunting mulies while elk hunting with a bow, and I'd like to change this visualization. maybe a treestand over a trail? or a blind etc...?

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-23-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look for a landowner or an outfitter if you want to hunt in units 520, 540, 560 or 580. The great majority of the big bulls will be on private land in these units.
Brow tine bull means your elk must have points up front, (i.e. eye guards) this means no spike bulls. the 6x6 bull you are looking for would be a legal bull.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

A great region to hunt for elk is 380. There are a lot of BIG elk up there. It's a big region and there are lots of hunters, but also lots of elk. Also holds a lot of good sized muleys. Its about 20 min. south of Helena. I wouldn't be to worried about bears. However, You might want to bring a can of bear spray or a good solid handgun like a .44 or somthing similar just in case.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

380 is a limited draw unit, except for spikes/cows...

350 & 370 are open though...?

Originally Posted by stuckinthereeds
A great region to hunt for elk is 380. There are a lot of BIG elk up there. It's a big region and there are lots of hunters, but also lots of elk. Also holds a lot of good sized muleys. Its about 20 min. south of Helena. I wouldn't be to worried about bears. However, You might want to bring a can of bear spray or a good solid handgun like a .44 or somthing similar just in case.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Spike

You could try the decker flat late nov. for a yellowstone bull and hunt mulies about everywhere in the state, in the rut.They say you could find a good bull thanksgiving week if you get the right weather.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Looking at a bowhunt? That is why you are worried about griz?

Dillon will have quite a bit more elk. Have friends that go down there and score elk every year. Dillon is kind of known for lots of small bulls, but some get some big ones every year for sure. 300 is a big bull.

Most of the guys I know that head down there, go in rifle season. Year before last all they saw were wolf tracks, last year, they said there were bulls everywhere. 4 of 6 came home will bulls, one was 340. So you never know, wolves definitely move game around.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

First Montana hunt? Best lower your expectations. 300+ elk on a DIY, first time hunt won't happen. For bigger bulls, go towards Ennis or Avon, for greater concentrations of elk, go towards Boulder or Townsend.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

This will be my 2nd MT Elk hunt. 3rd MT hunt overall.

5th elk hunt...

I think I'm due...

Hopefully one of us will have a lil luck on our side this time. I'd take a cow before a spike, but we'll see what happens. I have no problem passing up lesser bulls or bucks.

Originally Posted by unbridled
First Montana hunt? Best lower your expectations. 300+ elk on a DIY, first time hunt won't happen. For bigger bulls, go towards Ennis or Avon, for greater concentrations of elk, go towards Boulder or Townsend.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I just don't think most people realize that a 300+ bull is tough to get and a good trophy. I've lived and hunted Montana my whole life and guided for about 10 years before my MS made me quit.

Since you've been to Montana three times before, have you hunted the same area those three times? Are you just looking for a better bull population, more elk in general, or just want to see new ground from where you've been?

Like I said, not trying to be harsh, just making sure hunters in general have more realistic expectations.

As for the mulie question, in those areas you are looking at, I would recommend hunting elk and not passing on a shot at a good mulie while you are out. Mulies are harder to pattern and the bucks aren't cruising until November.

Brow tine means there is a point longer than four inches on the bottom half of the antler.

Those spikes are good eating too!

Have fun and good luck!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Spike

Well where I hunt in MT I have the opportunity of huting elk and muleys at the same time due to the region so you may find a region the same in a general elk/muley area. I heard lots of out of state hunters did not draw their stupid 9 dollar special permit this year. That is so dumb. What area were you intending on drawing for? With an outfitter?

HuntinGuy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.