Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Binoculars???

Old 07-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Binoculars???

This question is mainly for the guys/gals that hunt out west (wide open).

I need to purchase a new pair of binoculars(we won' t discuss what happened to the old ones).I would like your opinion on size and brand to be used specificly for elk hunting.I REALLY!!!!!!!! can only spend around $200+-[&o]....... so Swarovskis are OUT![:' (] I have been looking at the Steiner Predator 10x26...good glass but are the lenses big enough.What about Cabellas???????
Old 07-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binoculars???

I live & hunt in Montana. Look at the Pentax 10 x 50' s before you buy. I think you will like them? They are in your price range & they are clear. I like 10 x 50' s for early morning & late evening glassing. The down side to the 50mm lens is they are bulky too carry. But I feel they are worth the extra weight.
good luck,
Old 07-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not buy binoculars with less than 40mm lenses for hunting out west.At first and last light the small lenses lack in brightness.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 PM

I use a pair of Simmons 10x50 that I used in Montatna, Idaho, Wyoming, and Alberta. I was not elk hunting. It was end of June and was sight seeing, they worked good for spotting mtn goats and bighorns though. I like my spotting scope for real long range work though. Check out the Leupold wind river line they look good.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would also suggest taking a look at Pentax, I have 3 pairs 8x42, 10x50 & 12x50. I hunt some pretty open territory and have found pentax to be very good for the money. They come with a lifetime warranty and I can tell you their CS has been great in my experience. I won' t get into the specifics lets say they had no obligation to fix my binos for free as it was totally my fault, but they did. They have a variety of style, power and price range. My 8 x 42 & 10x50' s are fully fog and water proof models.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:55 PM

I use the Bushnell Trophy in 10x42. They are a roof prism so they are sleek and light, you can pick them up for around $180 thru Cabela' s. Water / fog proof too!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a set of Pentax PCF V Series 8x40, and they were very very nice binoculars. I sold them to my cousin and purchased a set of Pentax DCF WP Series 8x42 binoculars because I wanted roof prism binoculars, and they are nicer than the PCF V Series. Pentax came out with the DCF SP, and they are better than the DCF WP Series. Go to www.hotbuysbinoculars.com for the best price I have found. The DCF SP 8x43 are $389.98; the DCF SP 10x43 are $409.98. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

You do not need anything over an 8 x binocular. A 7 or 8 X 32 or 40 will be all the binocular you will ever need. If you really need to zoom in on an animal a 10 X ain' t going to do much. You would need a spotting scope on a tripod.

A binocular with an 8 X 40 will transmit the same ammount of light to your eye as a 10 X 50. Divide the objective lense by the magnification to get your exit pupil size. The higher the number the more light will reach your eye. A 7 X 32 will have an exit pupil of 4.5mm and the 8 X 40 and 10 X 50 will have an exit pupil of 5mm. You ideally want an exit pupil size of about 5. You can get an exit pupil too big. Your eye will only dialate to a maximum size of about 7mm in total darkness when you are young and the older you get it will shrink to about 4 or 5mm. If the exit pupil of the binocular is too big than the light transfered to your eye will be wasted.

Some things to remember with binoculars.
The bigger they are the more they weigh.
The bigger they are the more space they take up.
The bigger they are the more they get in the way.
The higher the magnification the more " shaky" the animal will be that you are looking at.

What part of the state are you hunting and what type of tererain will most of your hunting be in? That may be the deciding factor on how much power and weight you are going to be willing to carry around.

I use to use 10 X 50 and 12 X 50 binoculars but I have wised up and now ue a 7 X 35 and I am much happier with them. I simply do not need a binocular of that size.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like Pentax is popular

BigBulls,

I will be hunting the high mntn. parks of the northern mountains durining muzzle-loading season.We will carry our camps on our backs and bivy out each nite.So weight and space are a premium.My rifle hunt will be in unit 31 N of Grand Juct. possibly more open territory and we will have a base camp.My friend out there uses 12x50s and my old pair were 10x42s. Bulky,bulky[X(] Are the Predator 10x26s' I mentioned too small for both hunts?I would like a pair of waterproof or at least water resistant binocs.The guys at the counters don' t know[X(]

Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the money,Bushnell Trophy 8X42 are a great deal! Check them out at Midway' s site...

Quick Reply: Binoculars???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.