Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Non-resident wants to hunt Elk >

Non-resident wants to hunt Elk

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Non-resident wants to hunt Elk

Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default Non-resident wants to hunt Elk

Hi Guys,
I am French and non-resident in USA.
I would like to hunt on your side for Elk… A good trophy bull.
If possible without outfiter.
Is it possible ? What must I do ? Where (wich state) ? How ?
Thanks in advance for yours help.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never seen anything in the regulations that forbid a non-citizen to obtain an elk hunting license. On the other hand, when I apply, I think I may have had to provide them with my US social security number, perhaps my Texas driver's license, and my hunter education card number. It is possible that providing one or more of these credentials may create problems for you.

Colorado has the largest population of elk and hence the highest drawing odds. Some units, some seasons may have unlimited numbers of permits. Other units, some seasons may have a limited number of permits where more people apply for permits than the number of permits that are allocated for that unit/season. I suggest you begin by studying the Colorado big game regulations. Take a look at the information available under the Hunting selection on the top, left side of the Colorado Division of Wildlife web page.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/

Find out what is needed to apply for a license (certainly a Hunter Education Card). If you can't provide any of that -- for example, possibly a social security number -- call them up on the phone and ask if there is a way around this required information for a non-citizen. You may be able to take a Hunter Education course on-line from France.

You may have some difficulty obtaining a firearm. I do not know what the rules are for buying a firearm. Maybe it is possible to borrow a firearm from another.

These are some of the things to consider. Possibly a good path is to try to talk to others in France who have already done this and hence have blazed this trail for you.

Be aware that taking any elk is a substantial challenge. Taking a "trophy" bull elk is all the more so. Often taking a trophy is associated with hunting in special limited entry units (usually means fewer permits are issued per year and hence much longer waiting periods -- 7 years, 10 years -- before successfully drawing a permit). Additionally, often taking a trophy is associated with hunting with an outfitter and this costs substantial money. Generally, the chances of a novice elk hunter making a do-it-yourself (DIY) hunt in a easy drawing unit is going to be substantially zero chance. Trophys -- meaning bulls with large racks -- have to live 6-8 years to mature. In wide open areas the bulls are killed before they have the opportunity to mature. Even in the limited entry areas, the mature bulls survive because they are smart and are wary -- you most likely need an experienced guide who knows the elk and territory of that area very well to have a fair chance of taking a trophy.

Last edited by Alsatian; 06-23-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Considering the fact that you have never hunted elk, your chances of success without hiring a guide or at least an outfitter would be very low..

There are also many logistical issues involved with elk hunting...The best places to hunt are often far from roads and access is difficult.. It becomes even more difficult if you get lucky and kill your trophy elk.. It is a monumental job to butcher an 800 pound animal by yourself and to pack the meat and antlers out by yourself... In nearly all states you are required by law to salvage all edible meat..

I would recommend that you research some hunting consultants such as the ones that advertise on this forum... They can answer many of your questions and perhaps find you a guided or outfitted hunt within your price range..It would be money well spent...

Bon Chance...!!... Welcome to our forum...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop me an email and I can help you. [email protected]
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

agreed a good trophy bull without an outfitter for a 1st time elk hunt, good luck!

without having preference points in states that produce trophy elk you'd either have to wait a number of years to build up points or get lucky or just hire an outfitter and hunt private land etc...

your best bets in my opinion for a trophy elk do it yourself, would be arizona which will probably take 10 years of applying before you draw a quality unit, or get lucky in new mexico. you can hunt colorado any year you want but the odds of getting a 6x6 diy 300"+ are stacked against you.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Spike

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Apparently, for a good Trophy bull Elk, a Guide or Outfitter will be the best option…
What are the difference between one Guide and one Outfitter ?
Some suggestion of contacts ?... Best deals ?...
What other animals (antilopes, mule deer…) will be a beter option to hunt without Outfitter/Guide services ? How ?
Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty much the outfitter is the operation/business/leader, the guide is the actual guy who will be guiding you on your hunt. You could track down just a guide, but most likely you'll contact the services of an outfitter who will hook you up with one of this guides he hires, it may be a camp of the outfitter plus maybe 6 guides, give or take. So a guide/outfitter tend to go together.

Quite often elk are hunted with mule deer, though finding an area with quality elk and quality mule deer is even rarer than just quality elk area. So if you're wanting to hunt elk, find a great elk area/outfitter first, and if they have mule deer too, ask about adding that as an option etc...sometimes you just have to buy the deer tag and if you happen to see a nice mule deer you can harvest it too, but don't necessarily count on taking both, nor taking 2 trophy animals on the same hunt.

Originally Posted by Chamois
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Apparently, for a good Trophy bull Elk, a Guide or Outfitter will be the best option…
What are the difference between one Guide and one Outfitter ?
Some suggestion of contacts ?... Best deals ?...
What other animals (antilopes, mule deer…) will be a beter option to hunt without Outfitter/Guide services ? How ?
Thanks again.