Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
hart mt. antelope hunt oregon help! >

hart mt. antelope hunt oregon help!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hart mt. antelope hunt oregon help!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default hart mt. antelope hunt oregon help!

I drew a hart mountain antelope archery hunt this year somehow and have less than 6 weeks to get ready.this tag only comes once in a life time and i am looking for any advice on this unit or on judging trophy antelope.any tips i can get would be appriciated.Aug 1st is the season opener.

Last edited by blacktail4ever; 06-18-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

read all you can, and try to learn to judge, they're so tough to judge I think!

Look for symmetry, mass, and long diggers. Length without the others is useless, 1 big prong doesn't help either.

Be careful as sometimes small/short horns can be mistaken as massive horns since they'll appear to be thicker compared to overall length. I believe a horn twice the length as the ear is a good starting point...2x the ear I think is close to 12" long, plus if they hook over...you want that prong above the ear too, if you pushed the ear upward not down near the bases.

So look for mass and prongs but make sure it's a mature buck with decent horn length and not a juvenile that simply appears to be massive with prongs...

good luck! I've hunted them a bunch and still have trouble! look at tons of pics, that too sometimes a pic will look huge and be 80" and then a buck won't look that huge in a pic but it's 85 or 90inches! go figure?

with most animals big will look big, and if you see one that looks much bigger than what you've been seeing it's probably a good buck and may be well worth taking! ie if youre seeing all 65" and you finally see a 78 or 80incher you may consider taking it vs. waiting for that 85" especially if you're not planning to hunt more than 3days... otherwise you may be going home with that 65" or nothing at all, when day 3 rolls around and you're begging to see that 78" again...

Perhaps try to find a bunch of pics of 80" class bucks, vs. 90" world record type bucks, so if you see a booner or close to it you'll know it vs. trying to see one that'll match up to a world record, perhaps thats too why those monsters don't always look as huge.

Last edited by salukipv1; 06-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.