Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Drew Elk tag in Nevada Unit 7 area 073 need advice >

Drew Elk tag in Nevada Unit 7 area 073 need advice

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Drew Elk tag in Nevada Unit 7 area 073 need advice

Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Spike

Default Drew Elk tag in Nevada Unit 7 area 073 need advice

Hi;

I just found out I drew a rifle Cow Elk tag in Unit 7 sub area 073. The season is Oct. 1 thru Oct. 19, 2010.

I was hoping someone could give me some info. on Elk in the area which is bounded by I80 between Elko and Deeth on the south; the Wildhorse Highway on the west; Mary's river on the East and extends north almost to Charlston.

NDOW has very little info on their site.

Questions:

The wife and I are planning a camping trip to area 073 to get a feel for it in the next couple weeks or so. What would be a good place to camp (we have a small camp trailer and can dry camp if needed and do not need an established campground)?

Where are the best concentrations of Elk (I realize they move around and where they are now will not be where they are in Oct.)?

If the Elk are on private ground (I see there is a lot of private shown on the maps) are there any ranches that allow hunting with permission)?

Any help from anyone familiar with the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Jim
Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like homework that should have been done BEFORE buying a tag!!! but then again what do I know....looks like U better get to lookin around!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

073 is a lot of public land to the north, checkerboarded to the south, but no real issues as far as access goes. You will find the elk in two main areas. Double Mountain/Devil's armchair on the west, and Stag Mountain on the east.

I think the easiest place to get a camp trailer would be to go to Deeth, turn right onto the main road, and then take the first road that goes back North under the interstate. The second road that goes under the interstate will take you into 075. The first road will take you to Stag Mountain.

To get to Double Mountain, go north on Mountain City Highway, and then just look for the sign that says North Fork/Double Mountain, about 35 miles north. Not many places to get a camper in there, unless you go farther north and find something off of the Charleston Road.

The west side is mostly cheatgrass and sage. The east side on Stag there is more aspen.

Also, I think you can hunt in a part of Stud creek, which is close to the Orange Bridge, but it flows into 072, so you have to be careful of where you are.

Any more questions, PM me your phone number and I can call you with more info. I will be done hunting by then, so I can even help you out if you like.

This will be an easy area to hunt, as there are a lot of good roads, but still be prepared to hike up to a mile or so to get into elk, and possibly pack one out on your back. Not sure how much time you can take off, but you might also be able to wait for one to get into a better spot also.

Later,

Marcial

finnbear - unfortunately with NV, you don't just buy the tag. Its a lottery draw, and you can place 5 choices. You never know which choice that you will end up with. In 2005, I was scouting my first choice unit before the draw, as I thought it was a sure bet, and then drew my second choice, which was 200 miles in the opposite direction!!

That's how it goes I guess.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on drawing a tag. I had put in for the past several years and have never drawn a tag. Looks like Charlie knows the area well. The only advice I could give you is if you can scout the area now until the hunt do it. That way you know your boundaries and bearings and you may find where the elk like to hide. Don't forget to buy a cougar tag. Might as well have something to hunt while you are out scouting around.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

Thanx a lot for the tips Marcial!! I printed it out and will take with us the week after next when we head up to do some early scouting.

Before I found out I had drawn a tag the wife and I were already planning a trip up to the Charleston/Jarbidge area to check out the wildflowers/wildlife. I will concentrate on the Double Mt. side at least at first as I like the sound of it being a little more open. We can still take a day trip and make the wildflower loop from Charleston up thru Jarbidge, and then north and west over to Wildhorse which will make my wife happy. We can then spend a few days scouting Double Mt., which I have heard is also a beautiful area.

Finnbear-I agree with Marcial. I have applied site unseen before in Nevada and have not been disappointed yet.
Palladin-Thanx for the Lion tip. I have hunted in Nevada all my hunting life and only had one fleeting glance of a lion but it would be a bummer to have a chance to bag one and not have a tag. I just bought one online a few minutes ago just in case I get lucky.
Marcial-I will PM you my info. and thanx again.

Jim
Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Spike

Back from our camping/Elk scouting trip.

Worked out very well. Saw a lot of Elk in my area 073.

We came across a guide from Elko with a flat tire and unable to get his final 2 lugs off with the factory lug wrench. He had been there for 3 or 4 hours and was very happy to see us with our 4-span wrench. He gave me quite a few tips on where to be/places to check on Oct. 1. Also showed me good places to glass from.

Now to get ready for my local Bow buck hunt that starts August 1.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

I thought in Nevada you could just show up and kill a world record bull. Hehe
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I thought in Nevada you could just show up and kill a world record bull. Hehe
Pick me!!

But not with a cow tag.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default 2 scouting trips 1 bull

I have a bull elk tag for 73 and I am nervous for my hunt that starts next week! I have done 2 scouting trips, one on Stag Mtn and Devils armchair area and the other around orange bridge area. Found 1 spike bull. Any advice chuckerhiker would be appreciated. Did you get your cow?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default Elk hunt

Jim, did you have any luck finding elk in the Stag mountain area. I have a late Elk tag and have not had any luck so far. Any info will help. Thanks