Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Hunting Colorado unit 681 2010 >

Elk Hunting Colorado unit 681 2010

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Colorado unit 681 2010

Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Spike

Default Elk Hunting Colorado unit 681 2010

Hello out there. I am elk hunting in unit 681 this October. Has anyone out there hunted this area before? Any tips for a hunter in this area? I have been Elk hunting twice before and have come close but nothing great yet. I have learned a lot and hope to have better luck this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs info on hunting Missouri let me know. Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Hello. I also come into CO from out of state and don't have opportunity to scout on the ground ahead of time. If you have not been in 681 before, recommend downloading the free version of Google Earth and using it to scout your area.

We hunt area 68 to the south of 681 and have used Google Earth the last several years to really scour the ground ahead of time although several of our party have been hunting 68 since the 1970s. The detail that you can pick out is amazing even for those of us who are good with topo maps.

Get someone familiar with Google Earth to show you how to rotate the picture, zoom in /out and change the angle from vertical to varioius oblique angles (it's very easy to use) and save various screen shots that you want to keep. We printed out over 50 images along various hunting corridors that we lurk in and put them in a three ring binder that we pull out every night in camp to plan the next day's hunt.

It appears that 681 is on the north side of CO Highway 114 and west of U.S. 285. We hunt in the southern end of 68 which is above 10,000 feet. Biggest issue new guys have had in our camp is not pre hydrating and then forcing fluids once in camp. We had to take a newbie up to the hospital in Gunnison last year after arriving in a dehydrated state after a long drive from parts East.
Good luck!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Spike

I have hunted there about 5 times sense 2002. we go in off of 43bb. i killed a 4x4 last year there on the first morning. seen a lot of elk the first 3 days. then not much of anything. what part are you going to hunt.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Wish I had a tag for 681 I'd go along, I'm hunting just east of the Divide.