Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Buckshot for maine black bear? >

Buckshot for maine black bear?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Buckshot for maine black bear?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Spike

Default Buckshot for maine black bear?

Does anyone have any experience hunting bears with 000 buckshot through a pattern master choke? I got invited to go black bear hunting (with dogs) and live in a shotgun state so all i have are shotguns I could buy a rifle though if needed.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 AM
bigcountry

They suck on deer, I sure can't imagine it would do better on bear.

I highly suggest a decent slug. Which works great on bear.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Some friends of mine went to Quebec a few years back and 2 of them took 00 buck in 3 1/2 mag. I used my bow. But I have to say at the distance they shot the bears under 20yds. The out come was devastating at that range. And about 90% of the pellets exited the opposite side of the 200lb range bears. But anyone that has familiarity with shotguns is going to know you start to push those ranges out to 50yds or more your going to get a whole different scenerio. The shot pattern at the close range was between a 4 to 6 inches in diameter. Keep adding yardage to that and it's going to get alot more spread out fast. So out of a tree stand under 30yards theres not a black bear alive going to walk away from a well placed shot with 00 buck. And they don't run away either. LOL
Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

not to start an arguement but buckshot is a great killer of deer (my uncle's antler collection can prove it) and i would imagine that it'll work good on bear but id like some more opinions before i make my decision on wether to shell out more monye for a rifle haha
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I have no idea what kind of regulations there are in the state you will be hunting, but if you can use a slug then that's what I'd try. Most (not all) shotguns will shoot a rifled slug well enough to hit what you're aiming at out to 50 or 75 yards. Some better, some worse. You can even find inexpensive rifle-style sights to put on most smoothbore shotguns to help you place a slug. Just an idea.

Check all your options before you make a decision. I'm sure buckshot and slugs will both kill a bear. Just know your limitations with whatever you choose. Good luck with your hunt. We want to see pictures when you get home!

rw
Old 05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thought is.....

I'd hate to spend the time and money to go on a bear hunt and have my only shot at a mature bear be at 75+yds...knowing full well that the shot is not one that should be taken. (Some would, but it's a mistake)

Buckshot will kill bears...UNDER 50 yards. It will kill them further, but not consistently enough for me.

If it were me, I'd opt for buying or borrowing a rifle. Probably half of all hunters have an old 30-30 sitting in a closet somewhere. They are an incredible bear rifle under 150yds.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
They suck on deer
man that couldnt be further from the trueth. anyway if you got a shotgun thats a smooth bore just pick up some federal tru ball slugs and slap a scope or fiber sights on the gun.no need to buy a new gun. if your going with guides with dogs there probably gonna confine or tree them anyway. just so you know they typically take bigger bears using dogs. these old bores have learned not to mess with the bait sites. the dogs can find them though so you may wanna check with the group your going with to see if buckshot can even be used. make sure you practice!

Last edited by liquidorange; 05-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by liquidorange
man that couldnt be further from the trueth. anyway if you got a shotgun thats a smooth bore just pick up some federal tru ball slugs and slap a scope or fiber sights on the gun.no need to buy a new gun. if your going with guides with dogs there probably gonna confine or tree them anyway. just so you know they typically take bigger bears using dogs. these old bores have learned not to mess with the bait sites. the dogs can find them though so you may wanna check with the group your going with to see if buckshot can even be used. make sure you practice!
Nope, any experienced buckshot hunter knows better. I know I do and had my feel for the junk.

One, it will usually hit where you don't want to hit.

Second, it usually promotes pass shooting.

Third, I have seen deer die a horrible death too many times by buckshot shooters.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're close enough for buckshot to work a slug will work better and you'll be so close as to have no reason to miss.

Suck, buckshot can kill. But it makes a mess of things and results in woundings just as often. I'm glad everyone hunting around me has moved away from it, I got tired of tracking wounded deer for people.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

The bear guides I have talked to love a 12 gauge with slugs for bears. A 1 0z. slug practiced with can be certainly more accurate and devastating on bears than oo. A heavy bear has alot of mass, and especially at night you want to put the animal down in its spot. Have you referenced Maine to find out if buckshot is even legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.