Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Oregon opening day? or following weekend? >

Oregon opening day? or following weekend?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Oregon opening day? or following weekend?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default Oregon opening day? or following weekend?

i have been going to a unit in Oregon to hunt mulies for a few years now and we compete with a lot of other hunters on opening day. our success rate is less than great but i was wondering if we should keep going in on opening day and compete with the other hunters or wait until the following weekend when the area is almost empty? also, the opening day weekend usually has a full moon. any advice helps, thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

For Muleys I would go the second weekend if there are truly many less hunters on the hill at that time. The deer will be a bit more spooky but if everyone evacuates after opening weekend they will start to calm a bit by the second. Just be prepared to get a little deeper in to find them.

Besides isn't getting away from it all a big part of what hunting is supposed to be about? Why leave one traffic jam for another. I would say second weekend for sure.

In Utah I won't even think about hunting one of my favorite areas on the opener. It's a 4th day onward area for me.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunting-addict
i have been going to a unit in Oregon to hunt mulies for a few years now and we compete with a lot of other hunters on opening day. our success rate is less than great but i was wondering if we should keep going in on opening day and compete with the other hunters or wait until the following weekend when the area is almost empty? also, the opening day weekend usually has a full moon. any advice helps, thanks
wait until the week,most folks hed home for work.we usually wait a week then go start on tueday,by then all the city folk have left.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunting-addict

where you going hunting?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jdhogg
wait until the week,most folks hed home for work.we usually wait a week then go start on tueday,by then all the city folk have left.
What do U mean??? CITY FOLK??? R they not hunters also, R they not afforded the same respect and camaraderie??? R they to be considered second class hunters??? Do U think U R better than them because U not (city folk).......I live in town, hell I'm even on the city council....but I'll put my huntin skills/knowledge and success up against your's any day!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

OH and BTW hunting addict go out on opening day !!!!! why deprive yourself of a day hunting!!!!!!!!! unless U want to stay home and clean the garage or some such!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by finnbear
What do U mean??? CITY FOLK??? R they not hunters also, R they not afforded the same respect and camaraderie??? R they to be considered second class hunters??? Do U think U R better than them because U not (city folk).......I live in town, hell I'm even on the city council....but I'll put my huntin skills/knowledge and success up against your's any day!!!!!!

yes they are,but around here its a local joke,just like chain yer gates and hide yer cows.if i remember we lost 7 cows one year to big city hunters they didnt know what they were shooting, local joke is all.also this is why they put 70,000 acres off limits to out of area hunters,when you make a living with cattle it adds up quickly,not to mention cut fences gates left open and trash everywhere.so you can get upset all you want but it dont change anything.its the way it is,local hunters that know area are allowed..hell one time in meachem a guy shot a jenny mule and was proud of his cow elk.he was from seattle

Last edited by jdhogg; 07-15-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah when I lived in oregon we didnt call them city folk we called em Portland hunters. The most over crowded area Ive ever hunted was in the Ochocos. And if it was me Id still be there opening day. Just look around and find a place where the others arent willing to go.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Opening weekend.

A week later people will still be hunting them, and all you'll gain IMO is deer that have been pressured for a week, also less deer will be in the field...

Read an article that stated the first 72hours of any season is your best bet, basically day 1, first 24hrs is the best, 2nd day is ok, 3rd day is a maybe, after that...good luck!

I'd either be there for opener probably, or wait til later int he season, maybe for the rut? or just after pressure has let up?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

im not puting anybody down,hell everyone has the right to hunt and more power to all hunters.but finn i was just trying to explain how it is here.im not slamming anybody folks are just set in their ways.depending on where im at hunting i will hunt opening day but no way in some places.so wheres this place you git them elk close?i:ll swap info with ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.