Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
huge mulie how do i kill it >

huge mulie how do i kill it

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

huge mulie how do i kill it

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Spike

Default huge mulie how do i kill it

Ok guys me and my buddy have seen this huge 200 class mulie buck every year just before archery season in the same creek almost in the same spot. Problem is we have never seen it during hunting season. My question is how do I hunt this buck? How do I figure out his daily living habits? The buck obviously waters from the creek and he must not go to far. plz help thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

I don't pretend to be a great mule deer hunter, but will throw my 2 cents worth in. What kind of country are you in? Open, timber, semi open? Unless you throw him off, he probably has somewhat of a pattern. If the country is open enough, set up with a spotting scope or good binoculars and watch what, where, and when he does what he does. Set up so your scent won't be a factor while you pattern him. He probably will have other bucks around and you will want to learn that as well. See if you can see where he travels from and to. Where is he feeding? Bedding? Do you stand a better chance of stalking him in his bed or setting up an ambush along a travel route? As you plan your attack, always be cognizant of the wind. He didn't become a 200 class buck by being careless. If he winds someone in his area or is blown out by a still hunter, the odds of seeing him again that year are slim. You don't think he can be too far from the stream, but a deer can cover a lot of ground between feeding and bedding...

While I've learned to find bigger bucks, I've yet to kill one, so I am not a sage. Just passing on what I've learned and what I've heard from others that are proven big buck getters.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put in your time, study the buck without bumping him, play it safe/smart, ie the wind etc... Have to get lucky or do it right, but without both it's unlikely...
Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Go Scouting..........a lot
Thats the best way to find his patterns.
Most buck have a special place they go when they get"hard pressed" like in hunting season so if you can find where this buck "retreats" to, there is a good chance he will be there during hunting season.
Also if he is a 200 class buck... he is not stupid he knows a lot more than you think
to get that big he has had a lot of years of practicing avoiding hunters.
Best Luck,
Sam
Old 04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tandrhunts
Ok guys me and my buddy have seen this huge 200 class mulie buck every year just before archery season in the same creek almost in the same spot. Problem is we have never seen it during hunting season. My question is how do I hunt this buck? How do I figure out his daily living habits? The buck obviously waters from the creek and he must not go to far. plz help thanks!
Well I never really do this....I'm just not a big fan of hunting one buck or one bull but this technique can work if done correctly and you have some luck.

He is almost certainly responding to pressure from hunters on day one of the hunt and either evacuating or holeing up tight. To figure out what he's doing go out early in the summer, earlier the better, with as many spotters as you can muster and surround the buck. Then have a couple of guys go down in his bedroom and wake him up. Make him feel some pressure but don't chase him into next county either. Your spotters should be able to pinpoint where that buck goes if there are enough there and you are spread out and organized.

It's not perfect and hopefully he doesn't blow out of the area permenantly but if he's there year after year he should come back. That's why it's important to do it as early as possible. I'd do it now if you can identify him without his massive rack.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 04-14-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice guys...I think that just scouting hard and smart is the best plan to tackle this huge buck
Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have gotten lucky on a few big mule deer. I hunt the same place year after year. One hunter sneeks into position and covers the exit route. The second hunter just makes his presents know but does not try to spook the deer. Just walk around below the deer and get there attention. Almost everytime the bucks will get out of bed and walk out of the area on the same trail someone has covered. We have done this with success on three bucks on opening day of archery season. This method has also failed us in the past, but it is worth a shot if the buck is in a place you can not sneek up to for a shot.

I should have mentioned that we glass this area from a distance before we even try this sneek attack. The deer must be in the right place before we do this or it is just a waste of time.

Last edited by Wolf killer; 04-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.