Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose rut?

Old 06-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Spike

Default Moose rut?

Seems like I read that Moose here in the lower 48 rut from mid Sept thru Oct. Anybody verify that? Also, what time during the rut would the Bull most likly respond to a call? Will be hunting them in Idaho this season and would really like to call one in, rather than just find one and shoot it.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Moose rut?

I don' t know about Idaho, but in NH where I hunt I call Bull moose in every year while deer hunting between Sept 15th and October 1st. I have had luck calling them in using an immature buck grunt, but calling a little longer than you would for deer. If you get a bull interested you' ll hear them from pretty far off with their deep rythmic grunt/coughs when they come in. I have also had luck using rattling to bring in Bulls. The dominant Bull in an area usually comes in ALL fired up .. so be careful .. if you see what a rutting moose does to a 15' tree in a few swipes of his antlers .. you' ll be impressed.

I called in my first moose by accident archery deer hunting. Since drawing a moose tag in NH is almost impossible, I enjoy trying to call them in later in the morning when the deer hunting slows down, they are really cool animals to watch.

Old 06-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Spike

Thanks for the ideas and tips. I' m sure it is exciting when one of those big boys comes into a call. I have called Bull Elk in for several years while bow hunting them, hence, I am really keen on getting a Moose to answer the call. I know what you mean about drawing a tag for one of theses guys. I have been trying for several years and am delighted to have landed an opportunity to go after one of these critters in my own backyard.

Howabout educating me as to what the difference is between a mature and immature buck grunt?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Manitoba the rut usually peaks around the last week of Sept. or 1st week in October.
The weather seems to play a big role in moose coming to calls. A few nights of frost and some clear calm weather can make for really exciting action.
I generally use a mix of bull and cow calls. In my experience, using only bull grunts especially if you sound like a dominant bull, can make the smaller bulls a little skittish. Since we just want moose meat and will shoot any legal bull we usually start with a few cow calls and then throw in a few bull grunts a little while later. The grunts often work well if you get a bull interested in the cow calls but just doesn' t want to commit. Throw in a few bull grunts and that will often do it. Especially if it is a more dominant bull.

Hot windy weather and you can pretty much count slow action.

Calling moose is really exciting and when you get one in the right mood, look out!

To answer your question the more mature bulls that I have heard and seen have had deeper and more throaty sounding grunts than the little guys.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Spike

Cyrus;
Thanks for the info. Do you use a commercialy made Moose call?, or just your voice. Do you have a call you would recommend?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I just use my voice. I found that I can make a more realistic call with my voice than any of the commercially made calls.

You might want to pick up a birch bark cone or something of that nature to help amplify the call and help it travel farther. I' ve seen guys cut the base off a road cone, paint it up a bit and use that. I' ve also made cones out of cardboard and it works just as well.

I also carry an old cow shoulder blade that I use to rake the brush to sound like a bull thrashing a tree or bush. It sounds very realistic and works awesome.

Rent a few videos or get an instructional tape and listen to the grunts and cow calls. They aren' t that hard to imitate with your voice and you never have to worry about losing your call and you can call while looking through you sights if you have too.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cyrus pretty much covered it. I use my voice as well and have made my own birch bark call that I will use when I need more amplitude to the call. I actually use a bull grunt more than cow calling but use both. I carry a shoulder blade or shed to rake trees, branchs and it works very well. If you can' t find either you can cut out a silhouttte out of 1/2" plywood of a rack (one side) and this works to rake and hold up if you have a bull hung up, it may give him a visual and may help him to commit. One other thing I have used when calling near water is a coffee can, I pour water out to simulate a bull urinating, just an extension to calling by water. Moose like to travel on ridges and long skinning meadows are a great place to call in, water is always a good bet too. I would suggest getting some videos and than practice calling techniques as much as possible. (I find them easier than Elk to mimic and have found they come if in the right mood to even off sounding calls)

Rut here is as Cyrus stated, weather plays a big role in how effective calling or stage of rut will be. If it is hot and windy, you can pretty much forget calling. Get some cool nights or days and especially frost with minimal wind and you know it will be good. Now this may not totally apply to your hunt, but I bet it holds the same truth: cooler and calmer the weather the better chance to call in a moose. Have fun and hold on to your heart they are big animals and can make the hair stand straight up when they appear, respond, etc. Don' t be fooled by their appearance as clumbsy, they can motor through the thickest of timber and be very quiet. Some come in loud and hard, while others just stealth their way in with only a few hints they are near...have fun and good luck!!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

IDTRAVLER a good birch bark horn will work wonders when calling Moose. You can roll your own and either tie or staple it into a cone. My dad has made horns for many years. You will find that the longer, narrow horns will reach further with the sound, but the shorter wider horns will be easier to carry with you.

As for making the sounds of a Moose, it is not that difficult to make them with your own voice. This is a sample of what work you can do into a horn, but you do not have to go this great a detail. To me a horn, espically after you have called in a moose or two will become the focal point of your stories. This is why I like my dad' s horns, last last for many years.

Good luck in what ever you deceide to do, weither it is mechanical call (if it is legal), hand made call and your voice.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips fellows. You neighbors to the North sure know your Moose. ' corse you have a bunch more than we do here in the States I think I will get a tape and learn how to call with my voice and then fashion some sort of cone for an amplifier.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Spike

Hey Grumpy Tom; I sent you an e-mail off this thread about those horns you posted in photo. Did you receive it?[

Quick Reply: Moose rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.