Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Wisconsin zone C bear hunt help >

Wisconsin zone C bear hunt help

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wisconsin zone C bear hunt help

Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wisconsin zone C bear hunt help

I drew a tag for the first time and I'm looking for any helpful hints as to whee I can get cheap bait and any good set-up tips. How often to bait and how soon to start and how much bait should I look at getting? I'm a beginner at the bear thing, but I know we have some huge bear around. I have two places to bait right now about a mile apart and I think I can come up with a third spot relatively easy. How many bait sites should I set up?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

Hi Bandgod-
I live up by Peshtigo, just inside Zone C as well. We can start baiting on 4-14 according to the regulation book. I have hunted bears in Manitoba before, but, never in Wisconsin either. This was the 1st tag I have drawn as well. Some things I learned from the guides in Canada can't be used here in Wisconsin because we cant use meat or honey. I have been buying "cookie pellets" from a bear bait supplier here. He is a taxidermist whom has used them in Quebec the last 2 seasons with good results. They are ground up cookies and hard candies which are then pelletized like pellet stove type pellets. They come in 50 pound bags. I have bought 1 ton of them. He also has donut and pastry fillings and toppings by the buckets. In talking to him about starting baits, he recommends getting it set up and using some scents in trees to help attract the bears, then check it weekly until it gets established. One thing that I am also going to be doing is using restaurant greese and dumping it over the bait and on the ground surrounding the bait so that the bears smell it, it gets on their paws and then they track it away. You have to monitor how much you put out though because in Wisconsin, we are limited to 10 gallons at the the bait site, max. Hope this helps. IM or PM me if you have further questions.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Robbi
One thing that I am also going to be doing is using restaurant greese and dumping it over the bait and on the ground surrounding the bait so that the bears smell it, it gets on their paws and then they track it away. .
Are you sure you can use restaurant grease? I thought i read that you couldn't use it, but i may be wrong. I guess i might've assumed that grease is an animal by-product. I am wondering because ill be applying next year and i am also new to bear hunting.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

How long did it take you to draw your tag? thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Spike

Ek Buckmaster: The oil I get is vegetable based and the only thing cooked in it is french fries, so, I am pretty sure it is legal. If it were cooking fish or chicken, then, yes, I think it would be illegal too. I talked to our local warden and as long as it is vegetable based without meat cooked, your o.k.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Spike

LifexIsxHunting: It took me 4 years to draw for Unit C,but, in the past I know it used to take about 5. The DNR upped the # of tags, so, I think that helped. If you are hunting in the northern zones, I think it will take a minimum of 5 years; my brother had 5 this year and didn't apply for the tag, he is hoping to draw next year.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for clarifying that Robbi, now i know and when i get my tag next year i know what to use haha