Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas? >

Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do It Yourself Hunt Ideas?

Im a Florida native been huntin all my life. Im a pretty accomplished woodsman and a group of buddies and I wanna plan a do it yourself hunt somewhere for a species weve never hunted before, any ideas, tips or info would be great. We all hunt bow, smokepole or modern rifle so any are options. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

You dont tell us what you have already hunted, and certainly an idea of what interests you would help. How far do you want to travel, etc.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

I wanted to leave all suggestions open, and not be longwinded, but yall asked for it.....
Ive spent my whole life in florida hunting hogs in any manner you can imagine and some you probly cant, whitetail with bow smokepole and rifle and turkeys with shotgun and bow. Any big game species that would present a challenge and wouldnt take 20 years to get drawn for would do and im unmarried have no children and make pretty good money so travelin anywhere in the lower 48 is an option. That help yall?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

New Mexico Elk ?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

I like the idea of New Mexico because im also a predator hunter. How are the drawing odds?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Spike

How about a northeast Wyoming antelope hunt? If interested e-mail me at [email protected]., or look at our ad in the outfitters section.( we are not outfitters) we show hunters how to get around the over priced outfitters and DIY.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default be careful

Hey buddy: NE Wyoming is a fantastic place to hunt. I know I outfit there. However there are very limited areas to do any public land hunts. Also if this guy takes money to help you or you give him money to help you it is illegal. The fact that he is advertizing here especially if he is charging anything makes him a criminal. Now the legality out of the way.
Even though I am an outfitter I am still a pretty decent guy. I will agree that Wyoming antelope is probably the best choice to start your western hunting resume'. If you do your research you can find some very good public land hunting here for lopes. However the tags on good public hunts can get quite difficult to come by. So apply for good tags and hope for the best. The next best way is to call ahead to your chosen place and get listings from the Game and Fish and or the local Chambers of Commerce. They should both have lists of landowners who are willing to let you hunt for an access fee hunt. That however can be good or bad depending on how many folks the landowner lets in to hunt. So check on that too. There are also some very good outfitters out there that you can take a trip with. You can learn a lot from a very good outfitter and then you can come back on a DIY. Or you will find that the right outfitter is really worth their fees. There have been studies showing the economy of an outfitter is much better than going DIY when it comes to western hunting. If a trophy is what you are looking for then a good outfitter is the way to go. If you are OK with traditionally low trophy quality but usually a lot of fun and a challenging hunt, then DIY can be a blast. If you decide to go DIY then best of luck to you. If you decide to go with an outfitter then for your sake CHECK AS MANY REFERENCES AS YOU CAN. No matter who you go with.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate it turkeyward, ive been researching for 6 months or so and antelope is what I have settled on, I just wanted to see what everyone had to say. You guys live out there so im sure you know better than anyone. I was debating on Nebraska or Wyoming.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default diy lopes

Hey Podunk:
Just to tell you what I do. I try for the good public land tags. I never draw them but if I do I go hunting DIY. See I cannot afford an outfitter either. I know that is strange because I am one. But I cannot even afford to hunt the properties I have leased. Not to mention I would rather save them for my clients and I also have lots of big bucks on the wall already. What I do is get surface area land management maps from the BLM office in Cheyenne. I find the public ground in an area I hear has good bucks. Then I check for the season openings and then corollate the season openers with public land. Lopes are always out and about in the daytime so you hunt them all day. You just need good optics and patience. Once you find them, then you need to have good stalking skills. You are doing the right thing by getting into chat rooms and forums of hunting sites to get your info. I realize you are looking to go DIY so I am not going to try to sell you a hunt. However my site really has a lot of hunting information on it and there are also some pictures of antelope on there to give you a bit of help in judging lopes.
http://www.antelopeoutfitters.com/
You can email me through the hot link at the bottom of each page.
If you have any questions after checking out my site, just send an email.
Best of luck to you podunk
Old 02-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Affordability isnt the option, the experience is what im after. To go to a state ive never been to and kill a legal animal of a species ive never seen in my opinion is the ultimate test of my hunting skills. Im gonna start with antelopes because i have some similar experience with hunting hogs on sod farms in south florida, while antelope have far better eyesight I have a grasp of the concept. I consider myself an outdoorsman not just a hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.