Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gunnison County Elk?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Spike

Default Gunnison County Elk?

Have an opportunity to hunt Gunnison Co. for elk next year. Ive looked through the Colorado DNR website but am pretty confused. Are NR elk tags OTC? What unit are we in? If anyone would mind giving me a heads up on how the elk hunting is in that area I would greatly appreciate it. Our group has a cabin on the edge of the Gunnison NF with some acreage. Looking @ google earth, it looks as if we are pretty much surronded by the NF. It also looks like it would take a LONG hike for anyone else to get close to our area of the forest. Thanks for any info you can give.
Brian
[email protected]
Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on what part of the county you'd be hunting in, you have several possibities of which unit you'd be hunting in. And once you figure out which unit, then you can figure out if it's OTC or draw only. Also depends on which season you're looking to hunt. Archery, BP, or rifle 1,2, or 3rd season.
Long hike, or short horse ride. Don't kid yourself about being the only ones able to reach an area just because it looks like a long hike.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

I was mulie hunting in second rifle and they took 15 bulls off the hills I was hunting near for deer. I saw most of those as they came out of the woods on trucks and trailers. The OTC tags may be diff for 2010 or 2011 as there was talk in the GunnisonTimes about having all of the Gunnison Basin be draw. Not sure if that happened yet. Our elk tags was for 3rd rifle in 54 but I got deathly ill and couldnt hunt. 54 is across the road from 55 and both are/were OTC.

Last edited by SILVERTIP-CO; 01-28-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 AM
Spike

i hunted for a week for mule deer there back in the 80's beautiful country,didn't have any luck but seen a lot of undersized horns & doe's & a few small spike bulls,hope to go back some day,mike300wm