Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Colorado GMU 62

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado GMU 62

Anyone hunted GMU 62 for Mule deer? I plan to go this fall, and could use some pointers to make the trip more successful. Looks like 3rd season dates will be Nov 6-Nov 14 this year.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Unit 62 is not as good as it once was. Between mountain lion studies and a rough winter a couple years ago, the deer population is down. Depending on the weather they will be from Divide Rd down to the Gunnison river. If we get some decent weather I would hunt the cedars, but expect to be playing with all the OTC elk hunters.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

By cedars do you mean pinion-juniper country? Also, in the research I have already done I find alot of the guys getting into deer from Brushy to Sowbelly. I am guessing that is because there are roads there. The country just to the north inside the Dominquez looks mostly the same from Google Earth. I would think mid. Nov. dates might make that stuff a pretty fair choice to check out or am I off.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I mean pinion-juniper. The area on the south side of Big Dominguez from Bret point east has always been a area that deer travel. As for the area from Brushy to Sowbelly that is another travel area. Both of these areas are VERY crowded. As for deer numbers they have been down even in unit 61.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Have there been substantial road closures since they started tightening up on that the last few years?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Spike

Here's a link to the most recent (2008) Colorado deer hunting stats:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...eerHarvest.pdf
Old 01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

They have closed alot of the side roads, but not the ones that actually go somewhere.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Asbestos. That's funny - your screen name that is. Good info. Elkkill06, if you guys have any other more pertinent info you might pass on feel free to send it privately. I will probably not hunt this unit more than this one time. My mother moved to Grand Junction from Montana a few years back due to her husband getting a good job there. They will be moving back to Montana in a few years, and this will be the first time her delinquent son (me) has visited her in almost 3 years of being down there. Overdue I know, but I had to get the points to guarantee the tag... right???
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

If you spend some time on the CDOW website there is a well of information there. It's one of the best DOW websites on the planet. Take advantage of it!