Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Can I get some reviews?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Spike

Lightbulb Can I get some reviews?

Greetings,

As a brand new member I hate to do this, but really was hoping on some feedback. I created a new mapping tool for hunters (targeted to big game). I was hoping some people could take a look and give me some feedback. Normally I would just ask friends, but I recently relocated (due to my full time job) so don't really have a large network of folks right now.

Anyway - if anyone is up for it I'd love some opinions. The site is:
http://www.huntinmaps.com

Click that, then go to Create Your Own Customized Map. On that page there is a link for try things out. The "Create your own customized map" page has many details about what all is available.

I'm thankful for any feedback about the site, the price, or the tool - actually anything...

Thanks Guys

Last edited by bolinec; 01-13-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to link to the actual demo... duh..
Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

I checked it out and it looks pretty good. I looked specifically at the area / place I hunt. The roads your map show are the most accurate representation that I've seen. Other maps show roads that have not been open for years.

I really like how you can toggle views back and forth really easy. Not sure where you are pulling the satalite images but they look better then what I'm getting with Google Earth using the free version.

I think your product would be fantastic for the out of state hunter or any hunter that is researching a new area. It covers the basics for roads, elk and deer consentrations, and arial images all very easy to use and from one window.

While looking at one ridge where I knew the boundry for my unit ran, I could see using your map that I walked about 200 - 300 yards out of my unit and into a different unit. It is our responsibility to know where we are at all times and your map is the first one I've seen to over lay the GMU's on a arieal photo with that type precision that you can really tell exactly where the boundry is.

Personally I think you got a good product and should do well with it. I would pay a one time price for something like your map but not a monthly fee. Most people won't be using it monthly. That's just my 2 cents and opinion.

Mitch
Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Spike

Mitch,

Thanks for the review! That is all really nice to hear. I've put quite a bit of effort into the accuracy, so I'm thankful you noticed!

Here's my thinking on the monthly fee - there are constant updates - More layers are getting added (working on HOV / Trails right now), the data is getting updated, and people want an up to date map.

The tool is really a hunt planner - the idea is that I might plan a hunt a week, month, or year in advance. This tool lets me save those maps and come back to them at any time. Up next I'm going to add some stuff that lets you plan group hunts.

So I figured people would want to get in there and tinker with it all the time... not just for one map.

Does any of that make a monthly fee more acceptable? I go back and forth on it - mostly because I see how much work I put into it month to month I'm biased.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the nicest post that I have ever seen, that was nothing but spam.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
That's the nicest post that I have ever seen, that was nothing but spam.
Wow... I've never been called spam before. Suck

I knew was reaching asking for some reviews, and I know people aren't quick to offer advise on things like this.

I guess I didn't think of it as spam because I'm the one writing it... ya know.