Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Hunting in Utah

Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Big Game Hunting in Utah

Hey everyone! I hope you're all having a Happy New Year so far. I was wondering if we have any Utah residents or folks that hunt Utah a lot in here. I'm curious about the hunting opportunities and requirements of that state. My wife and I are about to purchase a little 6 acre plot in the mountains near Manti, UT. We plan to build on it eventually but not any time soon. I've read through the info contained on the Utah DWR Website and I see that the whole state is on the draw-hunt system. Is it pretty common to go a season without hunting because you failed to draw a permit???

Basically what I'm looking for is just a little clarification about the hunting system here. And also some personal hunting experiences would be cool. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Spike

I grew up in Utah, hunting fishing, and camping, basically anything in the outdoors was my life. They went to the draw system there in the late 90's because of the amount of non-resident hunters coming there. All the hurds there from Deer to Moose etc... were dwindling fast.

However what the draw system did (at least back then) was limit there area where you could hunt. Basically you put in a draw for multiple areas for specific game. Then you would normally draw a tag from one area; which in turn took you out of the draw for the rest of the state for that animal. I am not sure if it's the same way anymore, they may have tightened down on it even more.

The only thing I remember for sure is that the Moose hunts were once in a lifetime. Meaning if you got a Moose tag then you had that one chance to get a moose. If you didn't use that tag that was it no more putting even putting in for it. I heard a while back though that they changed that from you can continually put in for a tag but once you get a moose you can't ever get a tag for it again.

The current residents of that state may be able to help you out more but I am hoping that this sheds some light on what you have read. Deciphering Utah's laws and regs can be a big pain in the I guess that is why I quit being a cop there and moved clear across the country.

Anyway my rant aside I hope I have helped you out
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info! I guess no one in this forum lives or hunts in Utah. So I guess my chances are pretty good for drawing a tag...
Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Spike

i from utah,i'm not ganna say anything.
if you want too know about the state, go and look up on the enternet or buy the 09 big game proc.upland game, waterfowl.etc
Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

General Elk tags are all OTC. It depends on what weapon you choose to determine what areas you can hunt. Rifle you can choose either to hunt any unit open to "any bull" or areas where you can hunt "spike only". The spike only units are also trophy or limited entry units. The area by Manti is a spike only/limited entry unit. If you hunt with a bow then you can hunt statewide, you just must understand if you are in a spike only or an any bull unit. When hunting with a bow you can also take a cow with a general tag and is an open quota so there is no limit on tags.

General deer tags are on a draw system. Some areas are more popular than others and harder to draw but there are always leftover tags on some regions after the draw and can be purchased OTC. The state is broken up into 5 regions. Odds of drawing are good in all regions but depends on weapon choice and region.

Pretty much all other tags are on a limited draw system and harder to get but Utah has great trophy units. Cow elk tags are fairly easy to draw. Speed goats are fairly difficult with the does being a bit easier to draw. Moose, goats, buffalo, and sheep are a "once in a lifetime" draw and extremely difficult to draw. Any time you don't draw you accumulate a bonus point.

Hope that helps and is probably clear as mud.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Spike

Well it sounds like things have changed a bit.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by houndsman12
i from utah,i'm not ganna say anything.
if you want too know about the state, go and look up on the enternet or buy the 09 big game proc.upland game, waterfowl.etc
Well thanks for that informative post.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
General Elk tags are all OTC. It depends on what weapon you choose to determine what areas you can hunt. Rifle you can choose either to hunt any unit open to "any bull" or areas where you can hunt "spike only". The spike only units are also trophy or limited entry units. The area by Manti is a spike only/limited entry unit. If you hunt with a bow then you can hunt statewide, you just must understand if you are in a spike only or an any bull unit. When hunting with a bow you can also take a cow with a general tag and is an open quota so there is no limit on tags.

General deer tags are on a draw system. Some areas are more popular than others and harder to draw but there are always leftover tags on some regions after the draw and can be purchased OTC. The state is broken up into 5 regions. Odds of drawing are good in all regions but depends on weapon choice and region.

Pretty much all other tags are on a limited draw system and harder to get but Utah has great trophy units. Cow elk tags are fairly easy to draw. Speed goats are fairly difficult with the does being a bit easier to draw. Moose, goats, buffalo, and sheep are a "once in a lifetime" draw and extremely difficult to draw. Any time you don't draw you accumulate a bonus point.

Hope that helps and is probably clear as mud.
That definitely helps. Thanks! It's probably something obvious but what does OTC mean?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

It means Over-The-Counter where as you can just go buy it at any participating agents. I plan on hunting there in a season or two. Wyo is just getting to hard to draw unless you apply with points and or private land areas with little or no public access\hunting areas. OR buy the special tags. Just that word "special" makes me mad. They should call it the rape me over the counter tag!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew it was something obvious I was missing. Thanks for clarifying NJheadhunter71

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.