Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help from Veteran Elk hunters please >

Help from Veteran Elk hunters please

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help from Veteran Elk hunters please

Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help from Veteran Elk hunters please

A buddy and I are looking at going on a DYI archery elk hunt next year. What state would you recommend? We are looking to go on public ground.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Spike

Colorado probably has the highest elk numbers, over the counter tags, and lots of public land. Plus, they don't have the problem with wolves that we do in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

We live in Nebraska so Colorado was our first choice. Have the wolves affected the hunting that profoundly.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado is a good place, just check to make sure that the area you choose has not been hit too hard by the beetles. Last year we hunted the Weminuche and vast amounts of forest had been destroyed by those dumb beetles.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Archeryresearchshooter
We live in Nebraska so Colorado was our first choice. Have the wolves affected the hunting that profoundly.
There are wolves moving in but I don't think they've had a heavy impact...YET....like they have in Idaho and parts of Montana and Wyoming.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in NE as well. I have friends that have been getting cow tags in WY without trouble it seems. And they've always filled their tags. Might check it out.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Colorado
Montana
Idaho
New Mexico

All have archery tags that can be drawn the 1st year, all are good, can be great.

If you're just looking to shoot any elk, small bull, cow, whatever, I'd definitely look towards colorado, or maybe even northern NM.

WY has some great elk, but as a non-res to hunt wilderness you would need a guide or resident to hunt with...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Spike

Utah is good too
not really hard two hunt with bow
just do your homework and you will kill a good bull
Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Been bowhunting Colorado for 10 years now....my hunting buddy and I have killed 14 elk, all on public land. There are a lot of elk per acre in Colorado in some of the draw units, and there are over-the-counter tags available. No grizzlies to deal with. But be ready to do some serious walking if you want to kill elk! Start getting in shape now.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado has more elk than any other state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.