Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black Bear Hunting Skills

Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Spike

Default Black Bear Hunting Skills

Going to do my first Black Bear hunt next spring in Alaska and I need some advice on how to hunt them. I will be hunting them with a bow.

I have never hunted bear before and would like to know, what tips, tricks, skills, and methods I can incorporate to improve my chances of bagging a Black Bear.

I have taken the Bear baiting class already and I am still doing some more research on that, but any shared experience with baiting stations is accepted.. So any other help I can get is greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I can only speak from my experience bait hunting in the east, and from my outfitters advice-
Start baiting as soon as you can, and bait frequently. It keeps a bit of scent in the area, and keeps them interested in the bait. Set up near water and alot of very thick cover. Set up a stand downwind well in advance. When in the stand, BE STILL! Much more still than you would need for deer hunting,etc. The bears may hang just out of your site for hours patiently watching for any signs of movement. I assume you are prepared for spring bugs- wear proven bug suits, duct tape the seams. We use Thermocells in ground blinds with amazing success, and have no apparent problems with bears scenting them. Have fun! Bow, huh? I am too nervous for that.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Spike

What kind of signs am I looking for when I am scouting for Black Bear?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wog9f13
What kind of signs am I looking for when I am scouting for Black Bear?
Ant hills dug up, Rotten stumps ripped open, berry bushes hit, bear poop, scratch tree's, padded trails. These are just a few off of the top of my head. I'll add more later when I have some time.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

Try to watch the wind. Bears will normally approach the bait from downwind. It is very hard, maybe impossible, to totally mask your scent, so do your best but dont worry too much about it. They will come in if they want to. Often younger bears or sows will come in first. If the bear acts nervous when approaching the bait, and it grabs a bite or two and runs, it is normally because a bigger one is in the area. You may not hear them approach, so stay still and alert. Read all you can about judging their size. They all look big in the woods, so it is very easy to over-estimate their size. Study photos, talk to other hunters or taxidermists, and check out all the hunting sites you can. Shoot them tight behind the shoulder with a rifle, aiming for both lungs. They will die quickly if properly hit. You will often hear a "death moan" from a bear just before it expires. If you hear the sound, your bear is dead. Poorly hit bears can be very difficult to track, because their hair absorbs blood like cotton.

Bear hunting is addicting. Have a great time!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Ant hills dug up, Rotten stumps ripped open, berry bushes hit, bear poop, scratch tree's, padded trails. These are just a few off of the top of my head. I'll add more later when I have some time.

What do you mean by padded trails?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Spike

when looking for bear sign look for holes in the ground they can be as deep as 6'' and take roots and huge rocks
Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Spike

Since you are in the area allready, start baiting early. By doing so you will get many bears visiting your bait. Them you will see where the bears are comming in & leaving What time of the season are you hunting? Spring bears are easier to keep on bait piles. I prefer tree stands 10-12 feet of the ground.The larger bears come in with caution (expirience). If you got a game camera, set one up.

Denis
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Spike

Thanks for the Info. I don't have a game camera but I am going to invest in one and set it up. I plan on hunting in the spring and I have already chosen what I am going to use for bait, so on my next days off I am headed to my planned hunting spot and setting up the, very soon to be purchased, game camera and baiting. Let you all know what happens.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Breathe with your nose. they can smell your breathe from a distance. bacon hats are always handy..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.