Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Handgun hunting?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Handgun hunting?

I am going to add a handgun to my collection of hunting weapons. I want it to be a revolver, at least a .357 or larger, and with approx. a 6 in barrel. What would be recomended I start out with. Also, this is something I may open carry while bowhunting, or going for walks with my wife and children.

Here in NW Wisconsin we have an abundant population of both Timber Wolves and Black Bears (well above what the DNR says we have, according to thier own upwardly revised estimates).
Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

.357 is a bit small, for hunting I would suggest a .41 or .44 Mag instead but with that said, if you're locked into a .357 revolver it's hard to beat a Smith & Wesson. Carried one for years before we went to autos and they are reliable and accurate, ... the new ones even have "hi-cap" cylinders.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Spike

I would suggest trying to get your hands on a Colt Annaconda in the .44 mag. Bought a chest/shoulder holster for it and plan on hunting with it next season.
Attached Thumbnails Handgun hunting?-100_0285.jpg  
Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

ruger super redhawk 44mag
Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend the Ruger, Redhawk in 44 mag. I hunted for many years with the Blackhawk in 44 mag. and it did the dob well. The Redhawk's are much heavier and you feel much less recoil than with the lighter Blackhawk. The price is right and the quality is outstanding with superb accuracy.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

My .460 Smith is point of aim at 200yds with the Hornady 200gr bulets. Gotta wear ear protection and a fire proof suit though and shooting sticks are a must, tough to shoot off hand. I've killed a lot of stuff from pigs to bear with a .44 Mag Smith, but the Rugers will do too
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I am not locked into any particular caliber as yet. I have shot the .357 before and found it quite comfortable. As I said in my initial post, I am looking for something I may open carry on walk's and while bowhunting or for defense.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer sir

the smith n wesson 500 is ideal...i see girls shootin it like its a 9mm...at least shoot it once.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

For me a self defense handgun means short barrel and high capacity. The short barrel will make it easier to remove from the holster quickly, less weight, and easier to use if the fight gets way too close for comfort.

If you are talking blackies, wolves and mt lions I would feel perfectly comfortable with a Glock, Ruger, or something like that (magazine feed) in the .40 cal range. If you are putting Grizzlys on the table then the game changes a bit.

If you want to use the gun for hunting as well then my suggestion wouldn't be the way to go.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 11-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one on this guys chest is in fact the popular Ruger S.R.H. w/10" S.S. and in Dirty Harry's favorite caliber (as we all know = .44 mag).
He dropped in his tracks @ 15 yards, just wear ear protection when you shooting over your shoulder behind you - ouch!
Attached Thumbnails Handgun hunting?-thumbs-up_8pt_pistol_250k.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.