Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ideas for mule deer hunt?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ideas for mule deer hunt?

I've been doing some internet research for mule deer hunts in just about every state that they can be found but having some difficulty picking a quality place. I'm looking for a reasonably priced guided (or maybe unguided) hunt for 2-4 hunters for 2010. Possibly an antelope thrown in for good measure. I want to stay away from places that charge a "trophy fee". No hidden strings. State doesn't matter that much unless the mule deer and antelope seasons don't coincide. In that case I'd just have to stick with the mule deer and forget the antelope. Looking to try to get a good mule deer buck. Doesn't have to be the world record, but that would be nice! Just not looking to shoot Bambi though. Got any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was gonna suggest MT, but trophy mule deer chances are quite unlikely, a 4x4 may be possible though, but don't ask for much omre than that,ie mass, or big lengths, I believe both antelope and deer can be drawn your first year and both overlap.

You may be able to draw a decent deer tag in CO, but doubtful you could combo that with a antelope, perhaps a CO deer tag and a WY antelope tag? put together your own combo....? otherwise WYoming sounds like your best bet for a decent deer and antelope combo.

So look to CO, WY, MT would be my thoughts...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Spike

Four of us are going to MT next year for deer and antelope if we draw the antelope tag. We are hunting with Cottonwood Outfitters near Miles City. He has nice deer both mule deer and whitetail in addition to nice antelope. He is throwing in a free antelope if we can draw the tag so it's a good deal. We found him thru Hunting consultants unlimited www.besthunts.net. They can definitely give you some good suggestions on places to go. I spoke to Cliff Graham there. They also won't charge you a fee for their service so it's a great resource to start with.

Good Luck
Doug
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted mulies from California east and you limit the hunt by adding antelope. If you throw in drawing odds you pretty much exclude Cal, Nevada and Utah. Heard good things about New Mexico and Arizona but again it depends on the draw. I agree with "salukipv1" and think Wyoming is your best bet. Lotsa deer and lotsa antelope, pretty good non-resident draw, and lots of outfitters. Killed a nice 5x5 about 185-190 B&C in Wyoming this year and I'd probably live there for the hunting if my wife didn't want to stay in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts."
Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

OK, sounds good so far. If I have to take out the antelope, so be it. I've been to Wyoming the last 3 years and have taken a good buck each year so another antelope is not a necessity. Just thought it would be fun to chase them again if we got our mulie bucks early. I'll have to check into a few of the suggestions given so far. Thanks!