Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Need Ideas for guided hunt next spring >

Need Ideas for guided hunt next spring

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Ideas for guided hunt next spring

Old 11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need Ideas for guided hunt next spring

Long story short my father wants to take me on a big game hunt as a present for my college graduation. I'm thinking it would have to be around the end of march or beginning of april. need help coming up with ideas. it must be fully guided. Bear, elk, antelope, hogs, are all being considered. cannot be in a high fence resort type area. We're both pretty avid whitetail, turkey, and upland game hunters and i'm pretty big on predator hunting. So what now? Any suggestions on outfitters and what not will help. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well a free hunt, I'd choose the more expensive one....haha, ie an elk hunt over a hog hunt, etc...

What game have you already taken? What do you really want to take?

Perhaps a combo Mule Deer and Antelope hunt would be ideal for both of you, both can take 2 animals, both have experience hunting whitetails, would kinda be a new type of deer hunt for the two of ya.

I dunno what about this hunt attracts me so much, but a outfitted sitka blacktail deer hunt on Kodiak Island, AK, I believe you can take 3 bucks a piece come November or later...alot of these hunts are outfitted but not guided, ie a host/outfitter etc...will drop you off on the beaches and off hunting you go! Snow will push the deer down lower along the beaches etc...and they're relatively cheap, especially compared to other Alaskan hunts.

Geez sorry, has to be a spring hunt? lol, wait til fall and go for a combo antelope/deer hunt.

Sounds like you have it pretty well nailed as far as spring hunts go, perhaps a different specie turkey or two in the spring? or head up north for a spring bear hunt. Those would be my two top spring hunt choices.

Do you fish? how about a spring fishing trip, northen, musky, walleye?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

I was looking at one place in wyoming that offers a bear and turkey hunt and some good fishing. To answer your question yes we are avid fishermen. I used to guide people up north and have bee3n fishing all over the world. I'm gonna try and nail down a specific date and then have more info. As far as black bear go, I've got a marlin 1894 in 44 mag and a 270 but I'm kinda hoping that this will give me the excuse to buy something like a 338 or the marlin guide gun in 45-70 (thought it may be overkill but I like the gun)
Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

gotta love good or even bad excuses to buy a new rifle...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

end of march begining of april.......the only thing that maybe is open is a spring bear hunt in OR (i am sure other states offer something, but I don't know if they offer a spring hunt)....

be a man....do it DIY and take the remaining cash you would have spent and put it in your bank account for a rainy day
Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spring hunting in North America and you are going to be limited to bear and or turkey unless you are doing something inside a high fence.

You could probably mix in some predator hunting most places as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know of a black bear season in the US that opens earlier than May 1st. Can defintiely get you set up on a bear hunt in May or a hog or turkey hunt in Mar/April.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

That time of year puts a crimp in your choices. A prior post suggested South Africa and that would be my choice too. It's surprisingly affordable (especially if your Dad's picking up the tab). Try Select Safaris on the internet and check them out. If you want to stay in the U.S. try Camp 5 Outfitters (805-238-3634) in Bradley Calif. That time of year they have pigs, coyotes and ground squirrels (TONS of 'em!). Not a cheap hunt as hogs go but top of the line with good lodging and some BIG healthy hogs and a ton of acreage without high fences. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I don't know of a black bear season in the US that opens earlier than May 1st. Can defintiely get you set up on a bear hunt in May or a hog or turkey hunt in Mar/April.
Montana's bear season opens April 15th, but it usually doesn't get good until mid May.

I don't know what to tell you if you are focused on a hunt that early in the year.