Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
At what point do you mount it? >

At what point do you mount it?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: What size would an elk have to be for you to mount it?
Meat Hunter; I don't mount anything
16.28%
Any bowkill is a trophy and gets mounted
13.95%
270-299"
6.98%
300" or bigger
25.58%
330" or bigger
9.30%
350" or bigger
6.98%
if it's bigger than my current best it gets mounted
20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

At what point do you mount it?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default At what point do you mount it?

Wondering what size in this case an elk has to be for you to mount it.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

It would have to be an above average 6x6 or an exceptional 5x5 before it would get shoulder mounted. I would euro mount smaller ones of course.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm shooting something with horns on its head its because it is something I'm proud of and wouldn't shoot it if I wasn't planning on mounting it. Goes for every antlered animal I shoot. Helps that I am a taxidermist and can afford it. WCL
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have harvested a few bulls in my lifetime. None have been shoulder mounted. Just plaques. My first mount will be 300-320. Then the next would have to be 330-340. Just a matter of time and I am hoping it will happen. Not looking forward to paying for it but the wife knows already what the first one will be ahead of time.

Same with deer. I have a mount and will not mount another until it is bigger than the one I already have.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

when it stops moving and I can sneak up behind it..............
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a shoulder mount above 300. I usually give the antlers to my friends dad to make things out of. Although my first elk bull with the bow will probably get a plaque or euro mount.

Another situation would be a deformed interesting looking animal.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingchaser_labs
If I'm shooting something with horns on its head its because it is something I'm proud of and wouldn't shoot it if I wasn't planning on mounting it. Goes for every antlered animal I shoot. Helps that I am a taxidermist and can afford it. WCL
Agreed. If I don't have enough respect for the animal to have it mounted then I don't shoot it. This is why god made does and cows.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's kinda how I think, why shoot a bull or a buck if I'm not going to mount it? at least when I can take a doe/cow in it's place. Everyone around me wants me to take more animals, especially these decent/good sized animals I pass on. I am getting a lil tired of getting skunked on hunts though. I'm doing what I can though, least I think so, I'm only putting in for/hunting quality areas alledgedly. Maybe I should just relax a bit more and see what happens.

I've been on a few "quality" hunts lately, where all my research suggests its a great season/area, then you get there and people are saying, or the unit next to this is great..... or ya this season is the rut, but I like the 1st season....

I guess with time, more experience, and continuing to hunt quality units, I should be able to take a trophy at some point.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
That's kinda how I think, why shoot a bull or a buck if I'm not going to mount it? at least when I can take a doe/cow in it's place. Everyone around me wants me to take more animals, especially these decent/good sized animals I pass on. I am getting a lil tired of getting skunked on hunts though. I'm doing what I can though, least I think so, I'm only putting in for/hunting quality areas alledgedly. Maybe I should just relax a bit more and see what happens.

I've been on a few "quality" hunts lately, where all my research suggests its a great season/area, then you get there and people are saying, or the unit next to this is great..... or ya this season is the rut, but I like the 1st season....

I guess with time, more experience, and continuing to hunt quality units, I should be able to take a trophy at some point.
I believe you hunt CO....curious where you think quality/trophy areas are. As a lifelong "local" I probably have different ideas than you.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

skb:

I apply/build pts on CO, hunted back in college for elk 2 years, but have not since, considering an archery mule deer hunt in 2010 though.

Otherwise I'm just building pts, mule deer is really all I look to CO for currently, I would like to pursue sheep, moose, and goat there, but have yet to apply/build pts for any, as they require paper applications and the money up front.

When I hunted elk, it was rifle, OTC, once near Vail, the other time near Gunnison.

I believe the mule deer areas I'm looking towards are on the western slope, but I really haven't dove into the research aside from building pts for deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.