Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Black powder Questions. >

Elk Black powder Questions.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Black powder Questions.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Elk Black powder Questions.

Hey all.

I have been hunting elk every year since 1996 with a bow and have killed a few. For some reason I would like to try to go during black powder season I hunt Co. and the no optic rule really has me set back.

What do you guys use for sights and what kind of max range can you achieve?

Thanks

Shane
Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just use the factory sights that came on my gun.
I have not shot any thing farther than 75 yards with it though. If it helps-I have open sights on my slug gun and have killed deer at over 100 yards.
Arnt Colorado muzzleloader elk tags tough to draw?? Thought I had read where you need to apply a few years for preferance points before you can be lucky enough to draw a tag. I could be wrong ,
Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watch out, blackpowder hunting is as addicting as bowhunting. I now have 4 blackpowder rifles!

In Colorado, you have to use loose powder, conicals (no sabots) and open sights. I have a front fiberoptic bead and a rear Williams peep sight with what they call a hunting "twilight" peep. Larger than a target peep and easier to see through in low light. I also use what is called the "6 o'clock hold" which means you set the bulleye on TOP of the front bead instead of covering the bull. Made me go from 5 inches to 3 inches at 100 yards. My son, with better eyes, can go 2 inches on a good calm day.

My comfort zone maxes out at about 120 yards, but would take up to a 150 yard shot in the right conditions with rock solid rests and no wind. That was a long time in coming. The first couple of years, I did not feel comfortable past 80, then I stretched it out to 100 and slowly beyond. I don't think I would ever feel comfotable past 150 with open sights.

Just think of the times when a bull was just out of bow range and what that extra 60 or so yards could mean............
Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Just think of the times when a bull was just out of bow range and what that extra 60 or so yards could mean............

Every year I have gone I could have killed a bull with black powder and this year had 2 bulls over 300" I could of had a 80 yard shot at.

We stay out about 2 weeks and it starts to get good when we leave the Friday before black powder seasons starts.

Going to try to draw tag this coming year if I dont get one I will just bow hunt again and might try to bow hunt during black powder season and see how much more the bulls are fired up.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have now taken two elk with a muzzle loader. I have a Traditions Pursuit and have the original front sight and a Knight rear sight on it. The first elk I took in 05 with a CVA Bobcat, and can't remember the sight set up, but it was about 75 yards. This one was 95. I am comfortable to about 125.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a CVA sidelock percussion BP rifle with open sights and ball and have good groups at 100 yards with a rest. Finding the combination that works for your gun is important. Try splitting the seasons; one week bow and the first week blackpowder.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Factory open sights for me and I am comfortable at about 125. The big thing, IMO, is that you get sights with the fiberoptics that glow. This is a big deal to me and makes the gun much easier to aim in certain conditions.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Spike

And don't forget the left over licenses that come out in August, if you have a bull tag through the draw it is always a good thing to have a cow tag along just incase
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Talondale
I've used a CVA sidelock percussion BP rifle with open sights and ball and have good groups at 100 yards with a rest. Finding the combination that works for your gun is important. Try splitting the seasons; one week bow and the first week blackpowder.
My hats off to ya I dont think I have the patience for that set up and splitting seasons sounds like a great Idea !

Thanks to all of ya some real good in site thats why I stick around here because of guys like you and your willing to share your experience .

Thanks
Shanne
Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any preference points?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.