Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Antelope Hunting Closer to the East? >

Antelope Hunting Closer to the East?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Antelope Hunting Closer to the East?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antelope Hunting Closer to the East?

I'm planning an antelope hunt for my Dad and I for next year. I was wondering if there are some good areas closer then CO/WY since we won't have more then 10 days and that includes driving. Looking to bowhunt in Sept. Would like over the counter or high draw chance areas since my Dad is 72 and I don't want to be waiting year after year for a draw. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not many antelope to the east of CO., WY., NM. 10 days should be plenty of time and plan to hunt WY. since they have more pronghorn than people in the state, and getting a tag and finding public land to hunt isn't a problem.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input Howler. I was looking at KS and they have very limited pronghorn hunting with only 10% success rate. Seems like they'd have more goats then that looking at the terrain. Any suggested areas in WY? I've been there a few times but either enroute to AK or just fishing/camping.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talondale,

North West nebraska has quite a few antelope in the Oglalla National Grasslands. I used to archery hunt them up there around crawford. There are multiple water holes that you can set a blind up on and there are places where a spot and stalk hunt works in the rolling hills. The tags are over the counter (I think for non-resident not sure though). If you are looking for archery only that would be the way to go. In Wyoming you can hunt archery and then rifle but if you are comming from a long distnace I suppose you would only be archery hunting anyway.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as areas in Wyoming look around here in the Thunder basin National Grasslands areas 23, 24, 27, ect. There are millions of antelope around here but the tags are draw and some of the areas are not high success.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eastern CO. also has some OTC archery antelope tags and we have a "Big game access" or Walk in private land access for antelope and deer on the eastern plains. I have heard, how ever, that CO. may not continue the big game access program next year, probably depending on it's success this year.
Not as many goats as WY., and for the most part eastern CO. doesn't have the genetics to grow'em with big horns, but it's something else to concider.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the heads up.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure if you're interested or not, but I'm pretty sure South Dakota as OTC archery tags. You may have to purchase them online in advance. Good Luck to you and your dad on your future hunt.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're looking to bowhunt antelope, I'd strongly suggest putting in for tags in NM, bow tags I think are close to 30% draw or higher, and way higher if you put in with an outfitter, not sure if you're looking for an outfitted hunt or not.

East of CO and WY is not going to happen, wouldn't waist my time with states east of those, so if driving, sure something in the NM, WY, CO, MT, not sure where you're from, didn't say, or I didn't read, if flying, then I say go wherever, may consider NV bow tag then...

I'm strongly considering putting in for a bow tag in NM next year, just got back from a WY antelope hunt, no luck, I'll post about it soon. Or just buying a landowner tag in NM... after this most recent "quality area of WY" a lil disappointed, have to say I saw bigger goats in MT, and certainly NM has bigger goats.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your looking to go up a little more North, Eastern MT has plenty of Antelope. They give out tons of tags.....