Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hey All Newbie here!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default Hey All Newbie here!!!

Hey all just found this site and Ive been looking at some of the post and I think this is the place where I can make some good freinds and learn a little about hunting out west. I have done alot of research on hunting Elk in Idaho over the past few years, looking at hunting the Middle Fork Zone or the Selway Zone. I think these are areas that I can get away from the crowds.I know there are a few Idaho hunters here and just wanted some input if you dont mind.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IHunt4M
Hey all just found this site and Ive been looking at some of the post and I think this is the place where I can make some good freinds and learn a little about hunting out west. I have done alot of research on hunting Elk in Idaho over the past few years, looking at hunting the Middle Fork Zone or the Selway Zone. I think these are areas that I can get away from the crowds.I know there are a few Idaho hunters here and just wanted some input if you dont mind.

Thanks
Welcome. What kind of hunt are you planning? DIY, guided, semi guided, drop camp? Rifle, bow?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

Hey Muley669 thanks for the reply.
I am looking at a DIY rifle hunt since this would be my first trip although bowhunting is my passion I think a rifle would be the best option for my first trip, but my problem is I cant get anyone to commit to going at this time and the area I plan to hunt has a limited amount of tags and they go on sell December 1 2009 for the 2010 season and I dont think this is someting that any first time elk hunter from the east should try on their own, I am 37 years old been hunting for around 25 years, in great physical condition and I dont smoke, but I cant see paying 5 or 6 thousand dollars for a guide when I could do it myself for a lot less, I have topo and aireal maps of the area that I plan to hunt, I have practiced with both bull and cow calls and I have even found a Charter flight service that would fly me and my gear into one of the backcountry airstrips for around a 900 dollars from Boise airport or 500 dollars from Salmon airport if I wanted to go that route to get away from the crowds otherwise I had planned on hunting around the Big Creek area.
Again thank for the reply and any info or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IHunt4M
Hey Muley669 thanks for the reply.
I am looking at a DIY rifle hunt since this would be my first trip although bowhunting is my passion I think a rifle would be the best option for my first trip, but my problem is I cant get anyone to commit to going at this time and the area I plan to hunt has a limited amount of tags and they go on sell December 1 2009 for the 2010 season and I dont think this is someting that any first time elk hunter from the east should try on their own, I am 37 years old been hunting for around 25 years, in great physical condition and I dont smoke, but I cant see paying 5 or 6 thousand dollars for a guide when I could do it myself for a lot less, I have topo and aireal maps of the area that I plan to hunt, I have practiced with both bull and cow calls and I have even found a Charter flight service that would fly me and my gear into one of the backcountry airstrips for around a 900 dollars from Boise airport or 500 dollars from Salmon airport if I wanted to go that route to get away from the crowds otherwise I had planned on hunting around the Big Creek area.
Again thank for the reply and any info or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I don't know about the back country airstrips, they actually get a fair amount of traffic in them. I do some flying myself and I know that several folks fly into moose creek and several other back country airstrips daily. Anytime you are doing a DIY elk hunt you have to seriously consider how you are going to transport game once its down. Throw in "back country" and you have some serious logistics to work out. I honestly believe a fella has a better chance with a bow than with a gun do to the bugling factor. If I were you, I would take a hard look at a drop camp or semi guided, at least for your first trip out. I do some back pack hunting here and let me tell you it is rough. I am guiding hunters through an outfitter the rest of the year and that way is much easier.