Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.338 ammo help

Old 09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

Default .338 ammo help

Imlooking to buy some ammo for my .338 win mag. I found some Hornady Rifle Ammunition 82234, 338 Winchester Mag, SST, 225 GR online for a good price. Whats everyones input on this stuff ive never used it before. I could go with the Remington Centerfire Rifle Cartridges R338W1, 338 Winchester Mag, Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point, 225 GR, 2780 fps for a few extra bucks would this be a better choice?? Im going to take this gun deer hunting this fall (yea I know its big) I want to sight it in with one type of ammo that will work for larger game in the future. I you recomend anything else please let me know.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would choose the SST. They will fork great for everything from deer to elk and moose out of the 338 Win mag.

In fact, I will be loading the 225 grain Hornady sst bullets in my .338 RUM as soon as I can get all of the components together... ie; the correct powder, magnum primers, brass and the bullets themselves.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Save yourself some money on ammo and trade to a much smaller chambered rifle. In todays world only shot placement matters. A .338 is WAY overkill for anything in North America, even for Africa.

OK...ok....I'll apologize now before I make anybody mad. I'm just yanking a few chains...I'm not serious.

I would second going with the SST. Core-lokt's have been out there for a long time but I've never got them to fly very well and every once in a while they seem to shatter without much penetration. I can't explain why and it hasn't happened to me often but it has happened a couple of times.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

PB&J:

There is no such thing as overkill. Pick the rounds that shoot best in your rifle. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by handloader1
PB&J:

There is no such thing as overkill. Pick the rounds that shoot best in your rifle. Good luck.
Handloader I was just joking with that comment. It's hard to get humor across on these boards sometimes.