Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

25-06 for Mule Deer

Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default 25-06 for Mule Deer

Never been Mule deer hunting and going to Pagosa for first rifle and was wondering if the 25-06 would be enough for a mulie?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

yup...good caliber...just make a clean shot...it is 10% gun and 90% shooter...

Good down range energy, good accurate caliber, and nice shooter for Muleys...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

It's on ok cartridge (cailber is only the bullet size) for deer but I'd like something a little heavier if it were me. I look at the 25-06 as a good goat and coyote cartridge and is a great varmit getter.

Oh wait I forgot nothing matters but placement anymore. Go to sniper school and then use anything you want. I'm not sure why they even bothered to make different calibers and cartridges.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or just get a bigger caliber and fling bullets at them without aiming? One or the other should work huh? Even if you have a larger caliber rifle you still need good shot placement.

The 25-06 is a great deer rifle cartridge. The reason they make different calibers of rifles is so we can buy more guns! I thought everyone knew that!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Or just get a bigger caliber and fling bullets at them without aiming? One or the other should work huh? Even if you have a larger caliber rifle you still need good shot placement.
Yeah you've got a good point so I just got a really weird idea.....but brace yourself it's out there ........I mean it's really in left field.....maybe BOTH shot placement AND cartridge matter?!?! Working together they somehow increase your odds at making the cleanest kill possible. Do you guys think maybe even bullet weight and construction make a difference too. My mind is so blown right now. All these thoughts are hurting my head.

Seriously though I don't understand the beer commercial this subject has turned into.....Tastes great!!! Less filling!!! Shot placement is important but using the right cartridge is also important IMHO.

Originally Posted by Wheatley
The reason they make different calibers of rifles is so we can buy more guns! I thought everyone knew that!!!
Yeah that's certainly my reasoning.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 09-21-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

There isn't any deer hunting in the first rifle season?????
Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Spike

sorry, 2nd rifle, but first rifle you can hunt deer. non resident what do you expect.

I have a 280 but it needs better glass and i don't have the funds right now to upgrade. May still take it haven't decided yet. thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 25-06 is more than adequate for deer, if I had one my one load for everything would be the 110 gr Accubond. I shoot 117 gr Hornady Interloks out of my 257 Roberts.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Spike

The 25-06 will be just fine that is the gun my brother used his first couple of years hunting and it worked just fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
It's on ok cartridge (cailber is only the bullet size) for deer but I'd like something a little heavier if it were me. I look at the 25-06 as a good goat and coyote cartridge and is a great varmit getter.

Oh wait I forgot nothing matters but placement anymore. Go to sniper school and then use anything you want. I'm not sure why they even bothered to make different calibers and cartridges.

Sorry, was more interested in answering the question than worrying about pedantic semantics...

My intended response was that a 25-06 is more than sufficient for deer sized game...loaded with 110 gr. accubonds, it has enough energy at 400 yards to cleanly make a kill (as defined as 3X the impact energy in foot pounds as the average mule deer weight) thus making it (in most within the general hunting worlds opinion) an ehtical, useful, and worthwhile cartridge for deer sized game...

is that more specific so as to not trip your sniper trigger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.