Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!! >

Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Default Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Well, just got back from my hunt. I took my kids friend from HS out on the back pack hunt. Opening morning in the first 5 minutes of light, we get between a couple bulls bugling at each other. I bugle once to this 5x5 on the ridge and he come tearing down. I shut up, and he turns to go back up the hill. I see he is across from the kid and grunt once. He stops, about 18 yards from the kid, I see the kid shoot and hear the arrow hit, the bull bails out of there, and the kid turns and gives me the thumbs up. I point to the other bull bugling over the side ridge and the kid shakes his head yes. I slip over to that spot and bugle just once, the bull bugles back, then I give him a challege call. In comes a giant 6x6 but he comes in some thick. I have a small window to shoot thru at thirty yards, I shoot, the arrow glances off a limb a sails harmlessly over the bulls back. I'm sick, the bulls gone. I go back to the kid who is searching for his arrow and some blood. Six freaking hours later we give up the search, no blood, no arrow, nothing. He put his 30 yard pin on a bull 18 yards away. At this point I am totally disgusted. We are heading to another area when I spot the first 7x7 I have ever seen in the wild. We set up and again just 2 bugles and he is right on top of me. I behind a tree, he is on the other side maybe 5-10 feet away. He comes in with a fork horn and some stupid calf. The calf is to my left about 10 yards, the fork horn is to my right at about 20 yards. The kid is 50 yards away and out of the scene, by design. I am totally pinned down and cannot move, I swear that bull is going to hear my heart thumping, he is right on top of me. Suddenly, the calf barks and tears off down the slope. Neddless to say the bulls are right behind it. I turn and put my arms out towards the kid. He comes over and says he moved and the calf saw him. WTF!! He was sitting on his butt 50 yards away and got busted by a freakin calf!!! I mustered up enough gumption to to just flat out strangle him right there. We saw a couple big bulls and some smaller ones along with several cows the next day. This morning I could stand it no longer, I woke up in camp at 4:30 am and began breaking out camp. I had it. I just called my normal hunting partner and we are heading back in Thursday.
I'm trying to help this kid along and pass on this great sport of elk hunting, but he was ridiculous. I'm going to be 40 in a few weeks and he is 23 and struggles to keep up. I had to stop several times and let him catch his breath, at one point even singing as we heading out the trail while he was huffing and puffing. When we first got to camp he threw up his tent and started fishing in the creek. I was setting up our kitchen, gathering wood, and getting all those camp chores done. I gave him a couple of tounge lashings but didn't want to break the poor soul in half. what should have been one of the greatest hunts of my life has left a sour taste in my mouth over a shot bull that went unrecovered on my watch.
I'm really disappointed at his lack of preperation, and especially his lack of understanding how special this kind of hunt is, and how fortunate we are to know of this area. It's a tough hunt but the reward is great. You just don't get into elk like that everywhere. I feel like I wasted my time on this kid. Sorry all just had to get this off my chest.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like his first elk hunt, how did your first hunt go?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kevin1
Sounds like his first elk hunt, how did your first hunt go?
Shutup kevin.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

WIshed I was there..sounded exciting..
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, it sounds like you expected a little too much out of him. Should have done more prep with him. Helped him learn.

Or just not have taken him if that's not your thing.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll take his place next year if the cost is you flameing me. Heck thats a deal,
hehe
Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by elgallo114
Honestly, it sounds like you expected a little too much out of him. Should have done more prep with him. Helped him learn.

Or just not have taken him if that's not your thing.
I expected him to be prepared, listen, help out around camp, and be somewhat fit, if that is expecting too much, well I don't know. He has been hunting for 9 years, he is not a novice hunter, just not a back pack elk type hunter. He brought no matches or fire starting capability, are you kidding me? I gave him a detailed list of "esentails" over the phone. Another thing, you don't sit on your arse when calling up elk, it's annoying. Sheeze, he is a 23 year old man. I guess what really gets my goat is he was cavalier about wounding an elk, even if it was a non-fatal hit, the rest is just side crap. Man I'm in a sour mood, I better get out of here before I get banned.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rickmur
I'll take his place next year if the cost is you flameing me. Heck thats a deal,
hehe
Apparently you missed the part about being physically fit.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Spike

I will go and promise to do my camp chores before fishin.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly don't think you should take a kid hunting ever again.

But look on the bright side, you probably broke him of wanting to ever go again.

Sure, I would have been pissed too if I took a kid that was cavalier and wounding an animal, but is also sounds like you were pissed he cost you YOUR 7x7.

Last edited by txhunter58; 09-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.