Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tipping guides

Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Spike

Default Tipping guides

I am going on my first guided hunt in a few weeks. What is the norm for tipping guides? ...I assume you do?? I would think that regardless of you getting something or not, if the guide is working hard and a good guy, he deserves a decent gratuity. ...even more so than if you bag a trophy, but the guide is a jerk. Is the amount usually based on a percentage of the trips cost?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't tip if the guide didn't work for me. I only tip for good service on anything. It wouldn't matter if I scored or not. If I didn't score and the guide tried hard to get me into position for an animal I would tip 10% of the total cost. In the past I have tipped up to 20% on outstanding hunts. If the food is good don't forget to tip the cook.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Yes 20% is a good tip.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would give my guide 10 % when I was introduced to him and thank him for his efforts in preparation for my arrival.

If he did great from there on in I would give him another 5 -10 % to equal 15-20 % total.

If he did not do a great job for you, well you only give him 10 % for his half-hearted effort.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Your guide should be working for YOU, while you are in the stand. He should be scouting properties that aren't being hunted, to try and locate a good buck to get you on. If he needs to hang a new stand to get you closer, this should not be a problem for him to get this done, quickly and quietly. Once you harvest, he should be doing the cleaning of your harvest.

As to the amount for the tip, for a whitetail hunt, the average tip is 150 - 200. I have seen way less and even none at all, even when the guide did everything he could do. He can't pull the trigger for you or make animals run into your area. (unless they do drives) I have seen tips go upwards of 1000+. So if you are giving by percentage, and thinking of a 10-20% ranges, that would probably make the guide happy.

BTW- If you happen to score on your 1st day out, it only means that your guide did his job in getting you on the right property and in the right stand to get the harvest. he shouldn't be tipped less for doing a good job..

If he is a good guide, he will also have a cooler of drinks in his truck for the client, cover spray for you to use, possibly even some sort of snack or jerky, nuts, etc. It is your tip that helps him to get the gear he needs to do a better job. He should also be social and informative.

Yes>>--->I am a guide and camp manager. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Spike

I give 10 to 20 percent depending on the service.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the feedback so far. ...and as an fyi, it is a moose hunt, so no stands involved and the outfitter fee is about $4000, so 10-20% puts me in the range from $400 to $800. ...it adds up fast.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by balticbear
Thanks for all the feedback so far. ...and as an fyi, it is a moose hunt, so no stands involved and the outfitter fee is about $4000, so 10-20% puts me in the range from $400 to $800. ...it adds up fast.
Fifteen percent is the norm. 10% for your guide, and 5% split for cook and packer. So in your case a 100 bucks for the cook and packer, and 400 for the guide. The duration of the hunt is inmaterial as most guides have scouted and packed in a camp in preperation for your arrival. The cost of tipping should be allocated into your hunting budget. Don't be afraid to not tip for poor service though. Bad guides are used to not being tipped.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Spike

With this said , I'm looking for a Moose hunt thats drivable from Upstate NY within 15 hours. I want to find a spot with a good percentage of killing a Bull. Anyone no a good place to start?