Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Middle Piney Lake Mule Deer Hunt >

Middle Piney Lake Mule Deer Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Middle Piney Lake Mule Deer Hunt

Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Middle Piney Lake Mule Deer Hunt

I was drawn for region G in wyoming and we will be camping at Sacajewea Campground and was wondering if anyone has hunted the area and could point me in the right direction. If anyone has any info or tips I would appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have not hunted that side of the range. I expect it is well timbered, but there are some good peaks around there. Take the same strategy as you would for most high country. Be where you can glass while still dark. Glass well into the morning and remember that bucks often get up midday for a stretch and position change.

You will be scouting as you hunt. I don't know what season you are going in for, or how long you have, or how big of a buck you are thinking of, but I recommend you hunt as much as you can. I.e., put in full days. Go easy the first few days while you acclimatize if necessary. Some prefer glass, spot, and stalk only. Others like to hunt the timber. If you hunt bedding areas, still hunt like you are actually stalking an animal. I.e., move very slowly spending more time glassing the timber than actually moving. Watch for sign: Tracks, scat, rubs, etc... to try to get an idea of there are big bucks in the area.

Good luck, it is beautiful country where your headed.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks fo rthe info, I will be there Oct 1st, hunting with a rifle and hunting for 7 days. This is actually my first hunt out west and I am pretty excited. As far as size of bucks I don't have to take a monster to be happy. Do you think the deer hunting would be better in the Mountains around the campground or the BLM ground to the east?

Last edited by Beehunter; 09-12-2009 at 02:46 AM.