Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Honey Burn?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Honey Burn?

does anyone know the proper way to do a honey burn for bear? is it litterally suppose to burn up? ive tried it and get nervous when it gets black and charcoal and starts to smell, i just dont want to put an off scent in the air. thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not 100% sure but I think you are supposed to put it in something and set it over canned heat feul to warm it up and let the smell drift around..
Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

yeah thats what ive read, but everytime i do it it turns into a black charcoal, is this normal? is this what im looking for?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

i use a turkey fryer and burn it tell it looks like coal
Old 08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Honey Burn

I use a sterno can. I hang the honey about six inches above the sterno in a metal bucket. It took some trial and error in getting the right height above the sterno. But when you get it right it simmers the honey and smells really good. Its alot of work and the metal bucket and cans are alittle noisy, but it has worked really well for me. I am going to try to do some bacon this year also. Heard that works good.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Spike

A coffee can also works well. You might also want to look into a "Bear Bomb" I used the bacon grease one last year and had 3 come into it.