Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Typical Elk rutting period in southeast Idaho >

Typical Elk rutting period in southeast Idaho

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Typical Elk rutting period in southeast Idaho

Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
BIF

Default Typical Elk rutting period in southeast Idaho

I'm looking for some advice on the elk rut in southeast Idaho. I'm flying in to hunt with my brother for one week there and want to get some advice from those that hunt or live there as to timing. The legal hunt period is from Sep. 1 to Oct. 1 but I have to narrow down to a week. I'm assuming the later in the month the better the chance the rut is in full swing and I'll be safe. I'm worried though, that if rutting starts late August or around the first, by the 20th or so, they may be cooling off from the first cycle or may be scattered all to hell. I'd love to hear from someone who lives, hunts, or works there about their experience with previous year's ruts. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love pre-rut/rut, I think if you wait to hunt them in full rut you'll hear them, but you won't be able to get them away from cows...but on the other hand you want them bugling too. I would think it would be mid Sept would be ideal time to chase them.

try googling "idaho elk peak rut" sometimes outfitters in areas will show their book dates etc...for peak rut dates, or just someone else online will post the dates...

best of luck!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

I would expect early-mid sept. but this depends on conditions, you will just have to take a chance.