Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bipod vs tripod

Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

Default Bipod vs tripod

I am going to Newfoundland for moose and thinking about buying shooting sticks. Looking at the BogPod. I am 6'5" so I need tall sticks and they look like the tallest shooting sticks out there. Anybody use them? Do you recomment bipod or tripod? Should I even bring them?

I am getting a backpack that can hold them on the side, so I won't have them in hand during hiking, which should make them less of a hassle to have along.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd build a bi-pod, go in the woods, find 2 nice thin straight trees, put a bolt through em.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Spike

I personally would go with a bipod, easier to carry and set up quickly if necessary, I use one all the time, when I go out hunting. Build your own like the previous post.. cheaper and you feel accomplished that you made something that helped you secure your trophy.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a high quality mono-pod. Plenty of stability for a shot and makes a great walking stick. You will be in some rough and probably soggy terrain and a walking stick will come in handy.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default congrats on the hunt

Hey Balticbear- congrats on winning the hunt -- I am guessing you won it on mydreamhunts.com
I am going to BC for a mydreamhunts.com moose hunt in a little over 3 weeks and a mydreamhunts.com goat hunt in BC next year.
Any way; get the tripod for sure. I am a guide and outfitter and I always carry a set of the tall tripods. For a quick close shot you drop one leg or if you are like me you already have one or two extended and use them for walking balance and quick steady on the binocs for a good look. If you have a long shot you should be far enough away to not be detected and you can drop the third leg and take a very steady shot. Practice with them and find your steady point on the gun. Also be absolutely sure you do not rest the barrel on the sticks -- just the stock. The barrel touching the sticks will effect the point of impact and can effect it drastically in some cases. If you get close and can hide behind some low cover you start with the sticks leaning way back towards you and then slowly walk them up so as to not have any sudden lateral or virticle movement to be detected my sharp eyes for catching movement. The tripod is absolutely the way to go. Also look at it this way -- better to have three legs and not need them then the other way around. Best of luck my fellow moose hunter. Post your pics when you are done.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a tripod. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

Thanks to all for your input.

Turkeyward: Unfortunately did not win anything, so I am paying for this trip. ...but that is ok. ...can't wait! I have been hunting deer with bow and slug gun for about 10 years and field hunting ducks and geese, but moose and rifle hunting is all new for me. Should be great. ....plus a little fly fishing for Atlantic salmon. ...doesn't get much better!!

Thanks again.

PS: I'm going to post in the gear section, but need to pick up a better set of binos. ...looking in the $600-800 range. Looking at cabela's euro, leup gold rings and nikon monarch x; 10 x 42; thoughts?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tri-pod

Bogpod"s are the best !
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

1st choice Bipod. 2nd choice Monopod. Also consider weight when you are comparing binos.

If you don't mind, which outfitter are you going with?

Post your results when you return....
Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I use bipod on my long range rifle, but for hiking nothing beats a set of used ski poles...10.00 at any flea market

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.