Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
thinking about elk hunting >

thinking about elk hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

thinking about elk hunting

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default thinking about elk hunting

i have been wanting to go elk hunting for a while now. it probabl wot happen for a couple of years buti want to start looking into it a little. i will proabably be me and my dad so how much do you think it would cost. we would hunting with the rifle and would be a diy hunt on public land. so what state wouuld you suggest that would be the cheapest as tags go and how does the whole tag draw go. and which state do you think has the best hunting for the money. and my finnal question. if youve never been in the area how do you go about locating elk.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 PM

hi bucksniper,
Colorado is definitely the best for a first timer because they have the most over the counter tags available. Most all states have some sort of draw system where you gain preference points and Colorado has that too but they also have several good hunting areas where you can purchase over the counter (OTC) tags during the 2nd or 3rd rifle season. My first 2 hunts were OTR in 2007 and 2008.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

getting the otc tags do you need to send in before hand before you can get a tag. or could i drive out there and just go and pick one up. is there a really good chance youll get an over the counter tag. because i dont want to drive all the way out the and not get one and what are the dates of the seasons.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Son, go to www.wildlife.state.co.us
This should answer most of your questions. Elk, being migratory,
are never in the same place long...they move. A non resident trip...counting tags....for you and your dad can cost $1800/2200..counting travel expenses.....this is for a short trip. Not trying to discourage you guys but it is not cheap...even DIY.
On the bright side, it is an experience you will never forget.
Keep in touch.
Dan

Last edited by longknife12; 08-08-2009 at 07:43 AM.