Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What is best state for 1st DIY elk hunt? >

What is best state for 1st DIY elk hunt?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

What is best state for 1st DIY elk hunt?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Spike

Default What is best state for 1st DIY elk hunt?

looking for input. I know odds are not best going it on a diy, but it's
really the way i want to go. Plus i will be happy to see / get close to one anyway the firsty time.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done alot of research on this myself, just havent come up with the $ and time yet. I found that Idaho has over the counter elk tags for somthing like 375$. I would prefer to rifle hunt , but some units are bow only, which supposedly Ive read, hold alot of elk and pressure is low, which would probably be the best chance to fill a tag. Ive never hunted out west though ,and that hunt would be 100%DIY in huge unknow(to me) counrty, kind if intimidating but intriuging. Either that ,or I found an outfitter in utah, that offers unguided cow elk hunts for around 1100$ + 600$ tag. Both trips I figure would cost around 2500$ if you penny pinch. Let me know what you do, Im interested. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted the past 3 years in a row in Colorado. OTC bull tags are available for the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons and all of bow with either sex tags. Lots of pub land to hunt and a ton of elk. That state would be my 1st choice.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you bowhunt? rifle?

What arey ou looking for? a bull? a cow? a trophy bull? just fun in the mtns?

archery season is hard to beat as they're be bugling, which helps locate/get closer, personally I'd rather get close with a bow and not be successful than to rifle hunt for 10days and never see one...or see one at 500yds etc... also nicer weather in archery...

not that you can't be successful with either weapon...

If you're looking to take any bull or cow CO might be hard to beat...though many states offer OTC tags, least when talking archery...., other states have easy draw odds as well, so maybe not OTC tags, but can be drawn your 1st year...

*CO does have some altitude don't forget, being a flatlander altitude can wreck a hunt, some guys have no prob with it, but hunting elk at 9000ft vs. 12000 ft could be a world a difference, so lower altitude states might be something to consider as well.

Last edited by salukipv1; 08-05-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Do you bowhunt? rifle?

archery season is hard to beat as they're be bugling, which helps locate/get closer, personally I'd rather get close with a bow and not be successful than to rifle hunt for 10days and never see one...or see one at 500yds etc... also nicer weather in archery...

If you're looking to take any bull or cow CO might be hard to beat...though many states offer OTC tags, least when talking archery...., other states have easy draw odds as well, so maybe not OTC tags, but can be drawn your 1st year...

*CO does have some altitude don't forget, being a flatlander altitude can wreck a hunt, some guys have no prob with it, but hunting elk at 9000ft vs. 12000 ft could be a world a difference, so lower altitude states might be something to consider as well.
Bowhunting sounds like an option. What is a good distance to practice out to? after 30 yards my arrows drop fast.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Do you bowhunt? rifle?

My setup: Mathews switchback 60 # wt. 27 1/2 draw length. 400 gr Eatson axis st arrows with 100 grain muzzy 3 blades.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm prepared to shoot 50yds with my bow for elk...even 60yds when I started practicing a couple years ago for longer shots on elk, I'd say you wanna be able to the vitals on an elk at 40yds... long distance bow shots seem to kinda be a peeing contest amongst men, i've heard 70yds, 120yds, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me, plus at that range hitting a target vs. having enough energy is another.

I actually find my groups at 50yds about as good as my 30yd groups, I attribute this to being more focused on those longer shots, so give em a try you might be surprised you shoot better...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by handloader1
Colorado. Good luck.
Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.