Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Camo for Wyoming  Elk unit 48 >

Camo for Wyoming Elk unit 48

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Camo for Wyoming Elk unit 48

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default Camo for Wyoming Elk unit 48

I'm gearing up for my hunt and was wondering which pattern is most popular. I've been hunting IL whitetails for years so I have lots of gear in the real tree, mossy oak, ect. patterns. Would like to go with something I can use here at home, but also don't want to look like a big acorn out in the open brush. Any advice?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

When they are looking at you don't move. Buy a wind detector (puffer) and make sure to keep the wind in your face. Save your money and don't buy scentlock. Buy you some HS fresh earth wafers. Any decent cammo will do. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Spike

The area you are hunting has a wide variety of habitat, so the color is not going to matter a whole lot, but I would stay away from totally green patterns.
The main things are movement and smell. Limit them and you'll be OK. I've known guys go out in jeans and a shirt and get their elk every year, so it's not the pattern.

Last edited by johsides; 08-04-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Spike

Light green and brown, but as has already been said, no need to go out and buy camo.

I have a "fuzzed" up 6" length of unwaxed dental floss tied to my front swivel. This gives me a constant indicator of wind direction where I am. No telling what it is doing between us.