Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Out of state elk hunting

Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Default Out of state elk hunting

Hey guys,

looking to do an out of state elk hunt. I would really like to do a DIY hunt, but not opposed to a guided hunt. Have any of you ever done a DIY elk hunt? if so, where? and would you go again? and If you've been on a guided ELK hunt what outfit did you go with and did you enjoy it? Also, for you avid elk hunters, what are the best states to elk hunt and not have to worry about draws.....any info would be appreciated
Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

NM doesn't have preference pts, so everyone has the same odds, though outfitters have better odds, but not guaranteed tags, so one way to hedge the system is to put in for a great tag/unit in NM with an outfitter since you're not opposed to one and you'll have better odds than the general public, sometimes much better, ie 15% instead of 3% etc...

WY- you still can buy a pref.pt. so next year you could pretty much guarantee yourself a general season elk tag, though you need an outfitter to hunt wilderness areas in wy, or have a friend who lives in the state.

MT- has guaranteed licenses through outfitters.

CO- has otc tags etc.., though most other states have better trophy potential.

ID- I believe has OTC tags, and some quality elk in places. For example in WY you'd essentially need to have an outfitter to hunt the same wilderness that in ID you wouldn't need a outfitter.

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-27-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Went to col. 4 years ago for an archery Elk hunt had a great time, saw lots of elk
and came home with a four by five Bull. No monster but lots of fun and some very good eating. I would avoid over the counter tags in Colorado for firearm seasons, you
will be disappointed unless you like crowded hillsides. Wyoming is good but you need to
build a few preference points.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me see if can help you. I researched a western elk hunt for approx 3 yrs on & off. In 2006 I was finally given the opportunity to go west for Elk. I wanted the full mountain, horseback, rut experience, so archery was my preferred choice. I decided on Colorado for its population #'s. Size was not my goal. I'd previously looked into guided, drop camp, and even trepass style hunts-DIY. Being from Upstate NY I decided a fully guided hunt out west was my best choice. I don't know anyone out west, and been a whitetail hunter all my life. I figured why spend any kind $ on a dream trip of a life time, and not have a clue what I was doing. To me that spells disaster.
The outfitter I chose happened to come as a lucky sorta deal. I caught a hunting show w/The Wild Outdoors. It was a archery Elk hunt w/Winterhawk Outfitters. That coming wknd I attended a hunting show, and low & behold there was Winterhawk Outfitters! So I was able to have a long chat with their head guide. Then I learned NY Bowhunters organization advertised hunts with them, and several members had hunted there. I made a few phone calls. Contact Larry Amos, the owner of Winterhawk, and booked the hunt. I had a GREAT time, went back again in 08', and just recently booked with them again for 2010. They are a great outfit, and treat you just like family. I have NO regrets.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 PM

This year will be my 3rd year going to Colorado. They have over the counter (OTR) tags during the second and third rifle season so you don't have to collect preference points and some pretty good bulls come out of there during those times. There are better times to go but preference points are required. My first hunt was with an OTR tag.
Good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skenny
This year will be my 3rd year going to Colorado. They have over the counter (OTR) tags during the second and third rifle season so you don't have to collect preference points and some pretty good bulls come out of there during those times. There are better times to go but preference points are required. My first hunt was with an OTR tag.
Good luck
Have you ever done any good in Colorado?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

You can also buy OTC tags in Idaho.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 AM
Spike

You can use this link to research hunt areas. Also "Google Earth" is a good tool for "scouting".

http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/maps/

OTC rifle license are available for certain areas for Colorado's 2nd and 3rd seasons.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leave for CO the 26th for my 7th trip in 9 years since I was 13. We do all diy hunts on public land with otc tags. this will be my 5th archery season and hunted rifle the first year when I was 13 and went otc 3rd season rifle. It was cold and miserable. We saw few elk no legal bulls (4x4 or 3pt one side with 5" eye gaurd) We brought back a couple lil mulies but that was it. Second year we went archery (always go first week of archery there) and I saw a few legal bulls and missed a 4x5. The next year we drew 1st season rifle elk tags in the same place (only time we ever applied for tags) Didn't see alot but I shot a very nice 6x6 the second day. Since then its been all archery as I enjoy it alot more and see alot more animals. I've killed a couple cows with the bow and hit a dandy 6x6 with an ok shot but didn't give him enough time and jumped him and lost blood after that even though half the arrow was still in him, not a happy year after looking for a couple days. Over all as a group we usually have 50% or better success rate with a party of anywhere from 3-11 people in camp and bring back atleast one or two bulls. Out of the 6 years I have been out there I have killed 4 elk and a mulie and had a chance to kill a bull or multiple bulls every year but the first year and that was the late 3rd season rifle. Many other good states that my dad and uncle have visited in the past but this is the experience I've had. WCL