Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

bear encounters

Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Spike

Default bear encounters

hi all.. im gonna be backpacking for a few months; however, ive been thinking of taking my shotgun along in case of bears(brown bears where im going), however, it would be too heavy and probably illegal for me to carry that thing around through towns and all that....i was wondering if mace or pepper spray really works against bears

about a year ago..there was this really mean pitbull at my neighbors house that would come charging and growling at me whenever he saw me; so i decided to get pepper spray because. I was thinking that since mailmans use the stuff on dogs, then why shouldnt I....he ran right up to the fence and i unloaded the whole thing right in his face and he was soaking in it...he stopped barking for 5 seconds, licked it off his face looking abit strange, then started barking and growling like crazy again. The stuff didnt seem to work;

I wanted to know what would happen if i used it agaisnt a bear? would he also eat it and say "thank you for the hot sauce while i eat you for dinner"? or does it work differently against bears

I then came back to that stupid dog with a 1 million volt stun baton and stuck it in his mouth when he was barking....he took a big bite of it then i turned it on and he went crying away with his tail between his legs in less than half a second...would this too work on a bear?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

That's just WAY closer than I want to be to a brown bear to use either
Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

They make bear spray. Which is much hotter then the stuff you can buy. The stuff I carry on my LE belt is not even hot enough
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

they say bear pepper spray works better than a sidearm, definitely pick up a bottle of that stuff.

maybe consider having a pistol as well though...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

Default im in california

Originally Posted by salukipv1
they say bear pepper spray works better than a sidearm, definitely pick up a bottle of that stuff.

maybe consider having a pistol as well though...

getting a pistol in california is tougher than trying to pick up a girl in a gay bar
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default by the way

by the way, where can i buy bear pepper spray or bear mace or whatever its called?

i got walmart and big 5 and kmart around me. but no real hunting stores
Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to the US fish and wildlife service's fact sheet about bullets vs. pepper spray.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/...ar%20spray.pdf

Just google bear deterent spray and you'll find people who sell it.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Here's a link to the US fish and wildlife service's fact sheet about bullets vs. pepper spray.

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/...ar%20spray.pdf

Just google bear deterent spray and you'll find people who sell it.
I am not buying it. I would have to see the data myself to accept that pepper spray is more effective than a firearm. I sure wouldn't trust the word of a government agency about it.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

I think you can get bear deterrent at Cabelas. I carry 2 cans of the stuff when I am in black bear country checking baits and also while I am bow hunting for deer. I am glad I haven't had to test it out.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.