Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
DIY Elk Hunt Near Vernal, Utah >

DIY Elk Hunt Near Vernal, Utah

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Elk Hunt Near Vernal, Utah

Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Default DIY Elk Hunt Near Vernal, Utah

Headin to Vernal, Utah on the 28th of August. My dad and I are goin out there for about two weeks. We are doin a DIY bowhunt hunt on public land, however we do know a couple of locals who can hopefully point us in the right direction. I have grown up in Tennessee and hunted whitetails in the midwest and turkey all over, but this will be my first elk hunt and my dad has been on about 5 elk hunts. We have all the gear and both of us are in good shape. I am just wondering what to expect. Everything I have read says you have to get away from the roads, which I expected, but is there a certain elevation we should be targeting. I have also read that the elk will move up in elevation or to the thick cover as the hunting pressure builds. Will the bulls be bugling during this time? If I just hear one bugle I will be happy. Not asking for any honeyholes, but if anyone has any general info about the Vernal area it would be greatly appreciated. I wish it would hurry up and get here. I've already got all my stuff packed and ready to go.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is this for any general bull elk? or general spike elk? premium limited entry?

Which unit will you be hunting?

I believe Utah's muzzleloader season hits the peak of the rut, though I suspect least at the end of a couple of weeks you should be hearing some bugles.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM

Any general bull elk. South Slope