Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Help with 270wsm

Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help with 270wsm

OK Iam hunting elk and black bear with my 270 wsm this Oct I wanted to know you opinions on the load, I don't shoot over 300 yards at anything and dont plan on a raking shot or anything crazy. Are the claims that you can use the new barnes triple X true that you can use a lower weight bullet than normal and still get the same penetration?
So my question given the 3 options which would you use??
Barnes X 130gr
Accubond 140gr
Nosler partition 150gr
Thanks
Please no comments on take a 300 magnum or more gun, this is what I have to hunt with this year, thanks for you help!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are the claims that you can use the new barnes triple X true that you can use a lower weight bullet than normal and still get the same penetration?
Yes. Sometimes you can get better penetration from a lighter weight Barnes than you can a heavier lead bullet.

The 270WSM will do an excelent job on elk and black bears.

Since you are self imposing a 300-ish yard limit my first choice would be the 150 grain tipped trophy bonded bear claw. My second choice would be the 130 grain Barnes. Then the accubond then the partition.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 130 gr Barnes will do just fine, as will the Accubond and Partition. I don't think you need to go up to 150gr though. I'd say see which shoots the best in your gun and go with it.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Talking

Thanks for you input, I agree putting the bullet in the right place is what it is about