Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Recent goat/deer hunt

Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Recent goat/deer hunt

Hi went for a goat/deer hunt and we went to a property bout 3/4 of an hour away.Left home around mid day and got there jus bit past 1pm.any way I had a .270 cmc mountaineer (howa) and my dad had a 30/06Ackley Improved and we had a .22magnum for the bunnies. We went to a spot where we shot a deer last trip and there was plenty of sign but no deer and we were looking at the sign and sayng that it would be great if a goat or deer just came to us then we heard a goat acroos the over side of a gully. We went to look but couldn't see it then dad looked at the rocks and there were the goats. I lined up a goat with the .270 and let drive at the lead billy but missed and so did dad so they got away. We went back to the car and drove down to the river and we were following a track down to the river when another bloke yelled pigs on the other side of the river so we bailed out of the car and lined up. Dad let the 30/06AI drive and dropped the sow. Ilet drive at a piglet and dropped him and 2 piglets get away. It was on dark so we headed backto the car when the piglets came back so we dropped them.

We didn't get pics because they were across the river but the end tally was 4 pigs.
Regards,
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

What the heck! Are you saying you and your dad just shot them and left them there to rot?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
What the heck! Are you saying you and your dad just shot them and left them there to rot?
Its the middle of winter here and the water was up to our waist so we weren't getting our balls freezed off just for a pig
Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

If I ever did such a thing my father would have kicked my azz.
Mods why don't you blow this one away....it is just wrong. HNI doesn't need this....nobody does.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-19-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Fork Horn

why would he
Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Seeing you are from Australia might explain. Perhaps there are different standards there as opposed to the states. In the place where I live hunters are expected to harvest their game and in many states there is a wanton waste law used to prevent someone from shooting a game animal and leaving it. I have too much respect for an animal to just shoot it and walk away. If the pigs couldn't be recovered you shouldn't have shot. I have a feeling you are young and since your father was part of it then you were only doing what was taught. If that is the case I feel sorry for you. Good sportsmanship is the cornerstone of our hunting heritage.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Seeing you are from Australia might explain. Perhaps there are different standards there as opposed to the states. In the place where I live hunters are expected to harvest their game and in many states there is a wanton waste law used to prevent someone from shooting a game animal and leaving it. I have too much respect for an animal to just shoot it and walk away. If the pigs couldn't be recovered you shouldn't have shot. I have a feeling you are young and since your father was part of it then you were only doing what was taught. If that is the case I feel sorry for you. Good sportsmanship is the cornerstone of our hunting heritage.
Here in Australia the pigs carry a load of dieseases that could harm a person unless they just eat lucern or wheat but if they just eat anything then we just shoot them considering they are imported.I just don't want to get sick off a pig.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough I guess it is similar to shooting crows or wood chucks here.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

yea but I love pig from the abattoir but I wish we could eat wild pig