Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Field Judge Moose

Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default Field Judge Moose

Does anyone have any hints for field judging a moose?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Field Judge Moose

I am not sure what exactly you want to know.. We will judge them by the size they are compared to the average size of a moose for our location. So whatever the average size of the moose in your area will give you a chance to make a rough guess. You can still be off one way or another but it does surve as a base point.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are all big!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Spike

I just wondered if there were some set features, such as ears, etc., that help judge them on the hoof.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Spike

the one i got in 2002 scrored 178 i would look at the front brow tines and also look at the width of the palms.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

What makes up the score on moose is spread, size of palms (height & width), number of tines on each palm(these must be an 1" long to count but unlike deer the length is not counted rather the number of 1+" tines on each palm (aka the more tines a palm the higher the score). The final measurement is the smallest circum. of each palm, usually the spot between the pedicle and the brow.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Spike

spread does also count alot the points are not as important. Mine was only 42" wide
Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you trying to judge a moose buy rack or by size as in weight? A moose with a big rack can be smaller than a moose with a small rack at times.. just like deer sometimes it is more than just the rack it is carrying. But as a rule a big rack normally means a big moose..
Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

one thing/trick you can do is read up on how moose are scored via B&C, or whatever your preferred method of measurement is, this will usually get you started in the right direction, case one side has 4 brow tines and the other has 1, or if there is only 1 length measurement, but 4 circumferences, etc...find out where a rack/horn can gain more pts/inches of scoring.

best of luck.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Not trying to be a smart aleck---But a big one will look big. Trust your eyes---if he looks good to you----pull the trigger. I took a bull over by Big Piney a couple years ago. He's only 36" wide----but I hunt over a week for him & he was the biggest one I saw. But he looks like a moose---36" wide & nice paddles. JMO. CB

Quick Reply: Field Judge Moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.